Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,697   Posts: 1,482,547   Online: 886

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

"Camera Work" Taschen edition

I found a copy of Taschen's "'Camera Work' - The Complete Photographs 1903 - 1917"" at the little bookshop in my local village.

It is published in 2008 "All photographs are taken from the complete set of 'Camera Work' owned by the Royal Photographic Society, Bath" Text in English, German and French ISBN 978-3-8228-3784-9.

The book has a smallish format (14cmx 20cm) but is noteworthy for its completeness. Anyone with any of the Taschen series will be familiar with their presentation and style.

Regards - Ross

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ross, I'm sort of familiar with Stieglitz's work, this could be a nice addition to my library.

Checking around I find that the price including post from, Sydney to Melbourne, is close to double the price to have it posted from the USA, very annoying.

I'll do some local hunting in Melbourne first.

Thank you for the alert.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have it, but I wish that it were larger.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    You who are interested may check out a couple of different sources. One is Jeremy Moore is printing on Lulu, bound versions of the actually magazines. They are fair reprints, more due to the inexpensive methods of reproduction than scanning, which will be in several volumes. The first 3 are out containing issues 1-4, 5-8, 9-12. We could bug him for the others here if we can pull him away from his new bride.

http://stores.lulu.com/jeremydmoore

The other, which I also have, is larger and available on amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/Alfred-Stiegli...2791128&sr=8-2

Both sets are worth a look. If you would like to see a DVD of Stieglitz, check out "American Masters - Alfred Stieglitz: The Eloquent Eye (2001)" from netflix or check on the web for a copy.

Best of luck.
    Last edited by Robert Hall; 09-30-2008 at 02:26 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: adjusted for a post closer to reality.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am doing a straight reprint of the magazines and have scanned through issue 15, but haven't done the grunt work to get volume 4 out. That just leaves another 35 issues to go before they're all done....
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I just got the small Taschen edition as well. It was suprisingly cheap and the reproductions are good for such a cheap book. I like the small size as it is easy to thumb through and I don't feel like I have to treat it like it's valuable. Interesting to see the progression from very painterly to straight photographic work of Paul Strand. It seems the change started happening around 1907. Which means that Edward Weston kept his head up his painterly butt for another 15 years before his epiphany and becoming the master of the straight stuff. A lot of people trying to get back to the painterly stuff these days.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ah Mick, you lucky sods have "Printed Image' in Prahran or is it South Yarra, the only drawback being the temptation to buy lots of other books while you are there. Otherwise the online Australian Booktopia has been quite good for some of my recent (non photographic) book buys, with reasonable shipping costs.

And DJ, it's striking to see the entry of Paul Strand in historical context, he must have shaken the foundations.

Regards - Ross (one of those painterly tryers)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ross, yes we have been lucky, however I'm wondering a bit as their website isn't coming up and now that I think about it, the emailed newsletter hasn't appeared in my inbox for a little time now, so maybe.........

The Printed Image has gained a reasonable amount of my custom over the last decade and a bit. They did downsize the photography books though, when they moved a bit further down the street. Called commercial reality I think.

I'll try and remember to telephone them in the morrow.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well it appears that "The Printed Image" bookshop in Melbourne is no more. From what I now gather, they closed down after 30 years of trading in January this year.

Having been a bit on the crook side for all of this year and a fair bit before that, I sort of missed most things happening outside of my own darkroom and work environment, ah well.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The last book I bought from "Printed Image" was the recent one on bromoil. Maybe they suffered indirectly from the popular move to digital? I can't see many of our digi-comrades wanting to fart about in wet darkrooms, let alone with lithographic inks. As far as history and composition and such issues go, well you can see all that in that wee display on the back of your electronic camera.

However I'm not surprised that a business which indulges the techniques and the tastes of we few finds the going tough. Every time I go to Vanbar in Sydney (often) I say a little prayer that they live on!!

Regards - Ross

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin