Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,771   Online: 1047

View Poll Results: Name for the new magazine

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • LFC: light, film, camera

17 50.00%
  • Traditional Photography

10 29.41%
  • Classic Photography

7 20.59%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: the name

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was reading an advert in the paper last night and it mentioned they even had film cameras for the "Traditionalist" Sounded pretty good for a mag name to me!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    How about-
    Silver Halide Ingrained Techniques................ :P
    on second thought- forget it! :x

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't particularly favor any of the options in the poll. How about something like - Film Photography?
    Cheers, Shesh

Not to know what happened before one was born is always to be a child - Cicero

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PROBLEM
    I ran the thread of coming up with a name for how long? people stopped contributing and seemed not to care any longer. From that we all looked at the names that were posted. I sent a list to all involved at the time. I only heard back from Steve via email. Per off handed made his thoughts be know at the workshop. So as Far as the name goes it is kinda late to start the process of getting more ideas. Shy now and not when the thread was going? For us putting it together, we have to have a name asap. So far there has not been a name that would when scrutinized hold up in every last little aspect. There will always be something about any name that people will find fault with. If you want a differnt name for the magazine, talk it up and run a poll and let me know in a about 8 days. That is the time limit for getting one.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'll keep trying to brainstorm but coming up with a name is really tough. How about:

"Good Light"

To get things rolling again

Shooter
    Large Format
    Well now Aggie, there were a lot of names posted yet they did not seem to be what you folks were looking for, judging from the choices you posted. I dont mean this as a critizism only as an observation. Given that you guys are the ones publishing and doing the work, perhaps the best thing would be that among all of you who are organizing this pick a name. Whatever name you pick it is sure to displease someone, so might as well pick something that is comfortable for all of you.

If you want a somewhat "artsy" name many combination of words can describe it. For example

Negative & Positive
    Framed silver
    Negative image
    SIlver image
    Negative capture
    Negative space
    Negative expression

and on and on.....I would say just pick a name, stick with it and move forward. In the end what should matter more is the magazine format, content and cover photograph. The name is important but it should not be something to be stressing about.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    honestly, I still like Sean's suggestion: "grain" but that's the graphic designer in me. It seems to grab your attention very quickly in an edgy sort of manner. But I honestly don't care too much what the magazine is called as long as the content is high qualilty.

why not just "The Journal of Analog Photography" and then a sub-title describing the contents of the issue--in regard to the categorizing of the magazine as a "special issue"
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I voted for LFC, which is catchy and doesn't alienate any particular process (as would anything involving "silver" or even "negative"--well, maybe there are processes without film, per se, but still, even people who use those processes are probably also interested in film), and doesn't provoke pedantic arguments about the meaning of "analog." "Negative Space" is a cool name, but it might also convey a different, unintended meaning (i.e.--"cranky and contrarian space"), and I think the magazine should project a more positive image. Although I originally liked "Traditional Photography" in the earlier thread, I now think that is too limiting, since I'd like to see some visually innovative, non-traditional photography as well using wet darkroom materials, some of which may themselves be non-traditional.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Something simple and to the point like APUG QUARTERLY

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A few more:

Light & Sight
    Light-hearted
    Lighten Up

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin