Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,322   Online: 949

View Poll Results: Name for the new magazine

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • LFC: light, film, camera

17 50.00%
  • Traditional Photography

10 29.41%
  • Classic Photography

7 20.59%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: the name

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree Ailsa, that you need to capture the attention right away. You could also substitue camera instead of photography. It convyes the same meaning.
    Non Digital Diva

"WETWORK: The Magazine For Photographic Assassins"

(Touch my monkey.)
    Three degrees of separation from Kevin Bacon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I went for "Traditional Photography" 'cos:

• As Ailsa says, it instantly denotes a photography magazine
      It separates it from digital, emphasising the positive rather than the negative (no pun intended!).
      It encompasses ALL traditional photography, from E6 slide through silver printing to alternative processes and beyond
      It sounds good

There's probably a few other reasons too. Add "The APUG Quarterly" and the tagline "We like it wet!" and I think you've got it covered...

BUT you can't please all the people all the time and whilst I'm glad that Aggie is taking the time and trouble to canvas our views any attempt to run the magazine as an APUG-wide democracy just isn't going to work. My thought: Get the suggestions, pick one, move on.

Aggie, you have given yourself a huge task. Thank you very much for taking it on 'cos I think it will be a really great achievement when it comes off, but please don't make it any harder for yourself!

Whatever name gets picked you can count on my subscription and my support.

All the best,

Frank

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd like to suggest a name that is more descriptive and inclusive of the darkroom aspects of this group. I'm still thinking of what that might be....hmmm.

Photography/Printing News

Analog Photography/Printing Monthly

APUG Journal

Come to think of it, why not use this groups name? APUG. It's a bit unusuall, but it sticks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    True APUG sticks

How about one more thought,

Photo Alchemy it covers about every aspect also
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I sure like Photo Alchemy it sais it all!
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

I agree with Ailsa. There needs to be the word "photography" in there. If not in the title, then in a sub-title. LFC sounds too techie. Don't know what you plan on this magazine being, but in my opinion it should be primarily about photographs and only secondarily about the techincal things that go into making them.

"Photography with Film" is really the idea you need to get across. Light, film, camera, could apply to digital except for the film. That's only one out of three.

"Film-based Photography" is the idea, but it does not sound at all interesting.

I don't think the name matters as much as the sub title--something like:
    "A monthy magazine dedicated to film-based photography."

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I am with you Michael, LFC is stupid. Plain old stupid. Still sounds like KFC. There has to be more that this to name this thing. Maybe it is not a good idea at all for this to be chosen by committee. Maybe the editor needs to step up and say, "This is what we call it". Done period. If this is how it will be run then we need to forget it as it will never get to press. Simple. This is a business. Run it as such. Right now it is a fantasy. Sorry for the harsh words but that is how I see it.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Photo Alchemy is better than lfc, but I am used to seeing 'Alchemy' as part of jazz band names. I see a site called photo-alchemy so not sure if there are any copyright issues there..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No searched no conflict of name. Also using michaels suggestion with a twist you could add under it.....The magic of film based photography.

But this is my last word on it. Sean please lock this thread. Per Steve, Sean and I will hass it out. No sense letting a group decide. If it was left to this, NO name would ever be good enough or of appeal to everyone. Fantasy or no.
    Non Digital Diva

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin