Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,085   Online: 1081

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Photo Techniques

This month (Nov/Dec '08) in the magazine Photo Techniques there is a special section titled Traditional Master Print Class, some of the techniques included are contrast reduction masks, dodging and burning masks and hand coloring B&W. At first glimpse I thought this was all related to Photoshop, the magazine does include PS HDR and panoramas, but I was wrong, and at 6-bucks I couldn't lose. I'm now looking into getting some back issues.

Terry

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Photo Techniques has a pretty good (relatively speaking, of course) balance between film and digital. David Vestal and Bruce Barnbaum are regular contributors on film subjects. I have not done a formal survey, but as Black and White Photography has moved more and more into the digital realm, I think that PT has a more favorable film to digital ratio than B&W.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Falkland Islands: not any more now I'm in Lincolnshire UK
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    There were two books published 20-30 years ago under the title "Darkroom" featuring famous photographers' darkroom techniques. I particularly liked Ralph Gibson taking a bottle of whisky in with him!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Most of the tools in PS other than quirky things like "Shrink Wrap" originated in the darkroom including all kinds of masks.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Photo Techniques and its forerunner, Darkroom Photography are great sources of info. When I find some time I'll put my extra issues up for sale in the classifieds section.
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    Photo Techniques and its forerunner, Darkroom Photography are great sources of info. When I find some time I'll put my extra issues up for sale in the classifieds section.

Jon,

Looking forward to seeing what back issues you have. BTW, what is/was your relationship with PT? Why so many extra copies?

Terry

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Norman yes I have both those books they are gems, definately recommended stuff. Was just reading the gibson section about how he used rodinal etc....great info

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NormanV View Post
    There were two books published 20-30 years ago under the title "Darkroom" featuring famous photographers' darkroom techniques. I particularly liked Ralph Gibson taking a bottle of whisky in with him!

Norman, Gerry

Is this one of the books the book you are talking about: Darkroom 2

Falkland Islands: not any more now I'm in Lincolnshire UK
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    That's the one that I had. Great book, I never followed anybody's method but just soaked up the ideas. It was stolen from me!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Norman,

Thanks for the reply, Darkroom 2 doesn't seem to be a rare item, found a bunch on Amazon, but Darkroom 1 is another story.

Note to self: Do not post after multiple glasses of wine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin