Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,279   Posts: 1,534,855   Online: 785

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    We had this exhibition in London some months back, and for me it was a turning point in my appreciation of Arbus' work (you can tell by the quote on my signature). I bought the book at the time, (V&A price £40), it's well worth it.

The contact sheets, notes, journals, were fascinating, as was some of her earliest work. I'm not sure I completely understood or felt 100% sympathetic to her methods/pictures before this, the exhibition and book certainly gives more of an idea of her as a person, and shows what a very thoughtful and reflective artist she was.
    Cate

and of course you will soon be able to see Nicole Kidman and her birkenstocks in the movie.... :-)

(which will no doubt prompt a run on her books by straggly haired 21 something semi-suicidal bohemian chicks with a Rollei under one arm and a copy of The Bell Jar under the other...)

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Made a trip up to New York when the show was there. Definitely worth the effort. It was particularly encouraging to look at the contact sheets and see how many shots she discarded.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DBP
    It was particularly encouraging to look at the contact sheets and see how many shots she discarded.
    Yes, I agree, that really is encouraging. I found the same at a Jane Bown exhibition a while back (one of my all-time heroines) - some of the shots were definitely "misses"; but they do make the "winners" stand out even more...Interesting (and comforting) insight into the process of getting those winning shots, though.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DBP
    Made a trip up to New York when the show was there. Definitely worth the effort. It was particularly encouraging to look at the contact sheets and see how many shots she discarded.
    There was ONE sheet however, which was in the show that blew me away because every shot was (a) killer and (b) different -- very little a-b-c of a particular sbject, she was shooting "LF style" - ONE neg and move on. I was darned impressed by that sheet, anyway.

I know that's not the only way she worked (e.g., the grenade boy), but dang

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin