Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,577   Posts: 1,545,719   Online: 801

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pictures by Arbus some of them previously unpublished can be seen in San Francisco (SF Museum of Modern Art) till 8th January 2004.
    After that the exhibition will move to LA, Houston, New York, Essen (Germany, 17th June - 18th September 2005, Folkwang Museum) and London (Victoria & Albert Museum 13th October 2005 - 15th January 2006)

A must see in my humble opinion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    has anyone seen the book yet? I'm curious to know how it looks, if I remember correctly, it not only has photos but also contact sheets. I personally love to see the thoughts and photos around the finalized one image.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    We had a review copy in the office recently, and yes, it does feature contact sheets as well as the classic images. It's a pricy tome, but well worth the money if you're even remotely interested in Arbus' work.

The current issue of the New York Review of Books has a long article about Arbus by Janet Malcolm. Well worth reading. She likes the old Aperture monograph much better than this huge tome.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Still, the show is good. I'd hope to revisit it today, but got trapped in tearing down christmas decorations.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

I have a copy of the book and it does have copies of the prints, some of the contact sheets and copies of her personal production notes. I am finding especially interesting the chronology of her life events leasding up to her death. Yes, the book is a bit pricey, $100 for the hardcover at the museum. I got my copy on Ebay for $52.++ including shipping.
    Its all about the image, not the process.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have the book as well. I really enjoy it. The contact sheets and personal notes really let you see what she was thinking.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I just got back from seeing this exhibition today at the LACMA. I hate to use this word, but it was powerful. As much as I enjoy looking at photographs, they usually don't hit me with any sort of intensity at first viewing - I usually have to go away and think about them for a while. But this was different.

If the exhibit comes anywhere near you make whatever arrangements you need to get to it, it's well worth your while. You even get to see a few of her cameras and her old Omega D is set up with what I am assuming is a copy of the negative of her "Jewish Giant" photo projecting from it on to an easel - I always enjoy seeing other photographer's darkrooms. The notebooks and such are very interesting as well. All of this, with the exception of the camera equipment, can also be found in the book "Revelations" so that is the next best thing to, but not the same as, being there.
    Latent Images Plastic Toy Cameras

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive" - Howard Thurman

Q17

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The "Revelations" exhibit has made its way to the Walker Art Center in Minneapolis. For anyone in the area even remotely interested in her work: GO!

It is an important collection... 200 photographs. We went in through the last of three galleries first -- her later work -- made it though a single gallery and decided we'd have to return ... visual overload.

Absolutely gripping work.
    “While photographs may not lie, liars may photograph. It becomes necessary then to see to it that the camera we depend on contracts no bad habits.”

Lewis Hine

Shooter
    Multi Format
    We had this exhibition in London some months back, and for me it was a turning point in my appreciation of Arbus' work (you can tell by the quote on my signature). I bought the book at the time, (V&A price £40), it's well worth it.

The contact sheets, notes, journals, were fascinating, as was some of her earliest work. I'm not sure I completely understood or felt 100% sympathetic to her methods/pictures before this, the exhibition and book certainly gives more of an idea of her as a person, and shows what a very thoughtful artist she was.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin