Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,375   Online: 730

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoo Batchelor View Post
    18 Jan 2009
    02:55
    BBB FOUR
    Excellent. I should get back home in time for that one.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    zinzin

Thanks for letting us know. I would have missed a great documentary. Very interesting to see behind the scenes of Rankins photo shoots. He really does seem to be one of them all round nice guys who you could just sit down and chat with for hours about photography. It was good to see Bailey at his usual best too.

Great stuff

Stoo
    you're welcome Stoo.
    I enjoyed it too. I liked the bit with David Bailey the most probably.
    IMHO the original were more interesting (at least for me), maybe because they already so well fixed in our memory? Probably not easy or correct to compare anyway.
    I did not like much his re-shoot of Avedon's elephants and model, somehow for me he did not work out too well.
    salvo
    "A photograph is not created by a photographer. What he does is just to open a little window and capture it. The world then writes itself on the film. The act of the photographer is closer to reading than it is to writing. They are the readers of the world."
    Ferdinando Scianna, Magnum photographer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by catem View Post
    You can't watch it on i-Player but there are repeats - that's what I like about BBC4, they give you a chance to be disorganised! (referring to me, not you, I missed the first half)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00gq75c
    Thanks for the info, will try and catch it again. Haven't actually got access to BBC4 or any digital channels just now (how analouge is that ?), so should maybe plug in that box thing I was given last year!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Crawford View Post
    Thanks for the info, will try and catch it again. Haven't actually got access to BBC4 or any digital channels just now (how analouge is that ?), so should maybe plug in that box thing I was given last year!
    I think BBC4 and Film4 are worth getting. Makes the licence fee a bit more worthwhile!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mike,

The image quality of digital terrestrial should be better than the analogue service. However, in my experience FM radio has better sound quality compared to DAB.

Tom.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    After all this temptation, and with no access, I would like to know. In their opinion what are the Seven Photographs and Photographers that Changed Fashion and why?

Thanks,

John Powers
    Part of the great unread, lost in the colonies, yet to be enlightened.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    After all this temptation, and with no access, I would like to know. In their opinion what are the Seven Photographs and Photographers that Changed Fashion and why?

Thanks,

John Powers
    Part of the great unread, lost in the colonies, yet to be enlightened.
    John

I will list the photographers and their images, but you will have to remember that Rankin did point out that this is his own personal choice, as he felt that they were the leading talents of their time.

Cecil Beaton ~ White Panama Hat, Vogue, 1934

Erwin Blumenfeld ~ Vogue Cover, 1950

Richard Avedon ~ Dovima With White Elephants, Harpers Bazaar, 1955

David Bailey ~ Jean Shrimpton, Vogue, 1963

Helmut Newton ~ Rue Abriot ~ Vogue, 1975

Guy Bourdin ~ Untitled, Vogue, 1970

Herb Ritts ~ Fred With Tyres, Per Lui, 1984

It was a great doc, and great to view behind the scenes, with Rankin often including the photographer's assistant's that were involved in the making of the original image, along with family and friends, who all had some very interesting comments to make.

For Cecil Beatons image, Rankin used British Pop star, Sophe Ellis Bextor as the model. In her own way, very beautiful, with the look of a 1930's model. He first made the image using a 10 x 8 monorail studio camera, and then moved on to digital. Ellis Bextor interestingly commented on how relaxed the whole shoot felt while the 10 x 8 was in use, with the shoot tensing up when the digital camera was employed. Rankin commented that this actually showed in the models face in the B + W 10 x 8 image, and was by far the best image for this reason. Very, very beautiful it was too.

Another comment that I thought was funny was when Rankin was talking to Guy Bourdin's assistant, telling him that he was going to shoot digital, and not 35mm. Bourdins assistant said that it was cheating! Rankin explains about the instant feedback he gets...."But what about the suspense" came the reply "Waiting for three days for the film to be developed, trembling" all said with a big grin on his face(Bourdin's assistant)

Personally I felt that the Bourdin image was the weakest that Rankin done. Bourdin was a genius with a camera, making images in camera that would be quite a challenge even in Photoshop today. I felt Rankin chose one of the easier ones to shoot and 'bottled it!' That said, it was a fashion shoot, so maybe I am being a bit hard on him.

Great stuff though

Stoo
    Last edited by Stoo Batchelor; 01-17-2009 at 10:51 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Spelling!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    John

I will list the photographers and their images, but you will have to remember that Rankin did point out that this is his own personal choice, as he felt that they were the leading talents of their time.

Stoo
    Thanks Stoo. I will search those.

John

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I could find most of these, but not
    Cecil Beaton ~ White Panama Hat, Vogue, 1934

Erwin Blumenfeld ~ Vogue Cover, 1950
    http://www.condenaststore.com/ProdDe...x?prodId=16785

Richard Avedon ~ Dovima With White Elephants, Harpers Bazaar, 1955
    http://www.vam.ac.uk/vastatic/micros...id=ph006&row=5

David Bailey ~ Jean Shrimpton, Vogue, 1963
    http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/l...jectID=5054012

Helmut Newton ~ Rue Abriot ~ Vogue, 1975
    http://www.designboom.com/history/helmutnewton.html

Guy Bourdin ~ Untitled, Vogue, 1970
    http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/l...jectID=5176382

Herb Ritts ~ Fred With Tyres, Per Lui, 1984
    http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/l...jectID=5165021

John Powers

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    Mike,

The image quality of digital terrestrial should be better than the analogue service. However, in my experience FM radio has better sound quality compared to DAB.

Tom.
    Finally plugged the box in and joined the 21st Century so watched the programme tonight. (And the terrestial signal is now great Tom!) Really good show and very interesting in the comparisons between digital and film. I did a bit of printing for Rankin years and years ago and of course he was shooting on film then, like everbody else was, so he should not have been so wary of it. However, it was strange to see how he's become so used to digital that film appeared to be a bit daunting and scary! All in all though, a good programme. Rankin did a not bad job and a good choice of original images and photographers to work from. Shame that Bailey didn't do a Rankin shot in return!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin