Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,969   Posts: 1,558,549   Online: 1068

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    35mm
    I saw it last night. It was truly excellent. I'm curious as to generally, which shot people liked best. Personally, i liked the Cecil Beaton and the David Bailey - but overall, looking at the photographers, i prefer bailey's work in general. What do you think?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by milkplus-mesto View Post
    I saw it last night. It was truly excellent. I'm curious as to generally, which shot people liked best. Personally, i liked the Cecil Beaton and the David Bailey - but overall, looking at the photographers, i prefer bailey's work in general. What do you think?
    I finally got round to watching my recording last night.

I too thought it was excellent - Rankin came over as an extremely likeable chap, as well.

As an aside, I was pleasantly surprised at how sane the models appeared (with one or two honourable exceptions) - not at all living up to their stereotypes.

Anyway, of the original photos, I think I love the Blumenfeld vogue cover best, although Avedon's Dovima is giving it an extremely close run for its money.

Of the reproductions, I think the most successful was actually the Blumenfeld remake - not the one they actually chose to put on screen as the 'modern reinterpretation' but actually the version where she sticks her tongue out; I think I liked it because it really was a re-imagining that said something about modern mores and not just a replica. (I'd want to see it with the nostrils airbrushed out as with the original, though, because they were somewhat distracting.)

Of the other remakes, I think the Avedon and Bailey remakes were probably the most successful. The Newton remake suffered from a lack of texture that the original had, partly a result of the change of scenery, but I also I felt as a real result of being shot on digital rather than film; the remake had that characteristing 'cleanness' that seems to suck character out of a photograph (the exposure needed work as well, with the background lighting overexposed in the remake.)

The biggest failure to remake was the Bourdin I think; and I really couldn't understand why. The lighting was just all wrong - in the remake we ended up with a large harsh shadow being projected behind the model, and lose the tight highlight on the model's leg which I think is a real part of the composition.

I did find amusing - and a little bit sad - the extent to which, when they were talking about the Bourdin I think, the idea of having to actually take the photograph entirely in camera was treated as some kind of insane Sysiphean task. I thought that was the point, after all, and that's what I try to do. 'difference is that I fail of course, but that's why I have respect for the proper photographers!

Anyway, yes, a brilliant programme, and much kudos to Rankin for doing an excellent job with it.

Oh, and David Bailey seemed like the kind of bloke I'd love to have a pint with. Sarcastic, suffers no fools, argumentative, a bit obnoxious maybe but hell he's earned the right - an all round good egg; not at all as his reputation suggested.
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Having caught up with the whole prog last night I think I was unfortunately less impressed rather than more....it seemed more about process than ideas....I thought the original model from the Helmut Newton shot (sorry her name escapes me) was very gracious in her comments (pity he didn't use her again as the model for his final shot - her involvement and viewpoint was one of the high points for me), but she obviously - understandably I thought - wasn't that impressed.

The bit I enjoyed most was seeing the original photographs and thinking about them/ the talk that was about them/ interviews and shots of original photographers.

However I think Rankin was quite brave to attempt a task that he could so easily be seen as 'not living up to..' After all - how could he. Maybe the programme would have benefited from it being a little clearer that that wasn't the aim, although I have to say, in which case, what was the point - apart from seeing Rankin at work with his entourage.
    Last edited by catem; 01-18-2009 at 06:54 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin