Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,710   Online: 722

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What's the paper/print quality like from LULU? Similar to the typical monthly with glossy papers or more comic book like?
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi John,

I've heard differing things about the print / paper quality - unfortunately the only way to know is to buy a copy (and I don't mean that in a 'you'll have to buy a copy to find out' - I mean that even as the producer of these magazines, I won't know until I buy one. I spoke to Lulu to see if they would send out an example magazine, but they wouldn't).

It's a real conundrum, I plain and simply do not have the funds to produce a glossy magazine straight off. Several people have now said that they would like a paper version and Lulu does allow Chris and I to produce a paper copy in the interim.

We're about to make an announcement later this week anyway, so hold on. One step at a time...
    Creative Image Maker e-magazine is back! Find out more at http://creativeimagemaker.blogspot.com

Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So, here's the latest news for readers of Creative Image Maker...

"When I first came up with the idea of CiM in December 2007, it was because of several threads on the forums that showed that photographers were lamenting the demise of traditional photography in the magazines; even the few remaining magazines catering for film had begun to introduce digital articles. And so, Creative Image Maker was born in January 2008, dedicated solely to non-digital photographic processes and it will remain that way.

Since we relaunched at the start of 2009, I've been bowled over by the support you have shown towards Creative Image Maker as a whole; that support is in the form of just reading the articles in the PDF magazine that Chris puts together, sending us ideas or comments, or submitting articles and images. You may have seen on the Flickr group discussion that in all of November and December last year there were 1,600 page views on the CiM website; from January 1st to the 21st there were 5,000. That's three times as many pages served in just one third of the time! To me, something has happened, last year there was lots on interest in CiM but it was too big for me to handle, taking up too much of my time at the expense of my family.

This year it's different; between Chris and me we can work together (despite being several thousand miles apart) to bring you articles, images and inspiration for your own photography. There's a lot of interest from the readership and we thank you. But, it doesn't stop there - both myself and Chris are committed to building the magazine, and so here's the absolute latest news for you...

I'd like to welcome Rob Valine on to the team; you may know Rob from Flickr and he'll be writing a monthly article on 'something to do with photography' (that was the extent of the brief I gave him!).

The big news, the really big news though is all about March. Chris and I have both been working feverishly away, drinking cups of strong black coffee in a bid to work tirelessly to bring you... the option of a paper magazine. There I said it. In fact, not just one, but TWO!! Both magazines will be available from the Lulu storefront: http://stores.lulu.com/creativeimagemaker and you're probably asking why two?

Chris is going to put out, each quarter, a roundup of the magazines, as it happens this first one will be a bumper edition containing December through to March. Naturally this will be a paid for edition, so for all you people who requested a paper copy... it's coming!

The second magazine is a CiM Special. Put together by yours truly, it takes one element of photography and does it to death I jest of course, but it enables us to focus on one thing within the huge sphere of traditional photography, and this first issue is: Glass Plate Photography; featuring articles and images from museums, Denise Ross, Quinn Jacobsen, Michael Waite and a host of others. This will be available as a free download PDF, but also as a paper copy. I wanted to make this a 'special' for more than one reason though, and it crossed my mind that we could do goodly works with these specials when they come out, and so all proceeds from the sale of the Glass Plate Photography Special (well, the bit that Lulu doesn't take for printing) will go to charity.

At the time of writing I haven't decided on a charity, but it's very likely to be a charity local to me that provide disabled children a chance to get out, play and try out new experiences. Keep an eye on the website for up-to-date information. Chris has already selected his next two charities!

I hope that you are able to support CiM, provide cash to help disadvantaged kids and get a paper copy of the magazine special yourself. Everybody wins.

Finally, as if that wasn't enough, I'm also planning to start converting the articles on the website in to PDF files. The originals will remain there, but it struck me that as we run different articles in the PDF and the website, that you could actually create your own magazine! So, I plan to create a CiM front cover for you to download, then you can download the articles that interest you from the website; et voila! your very own tailored CiM magazine - now how's that for service with a smile!

It's fair to say that these are exciting times for both Chris and I, and we hope for your continued support - help us by letting your photographic friends know about Creative Image Maker and spread the word that there is an alternative to magazines filled with digital articles.

Thank you."

David Vickers.
    Creative Image Maker e-magazine is back! Find out more at http://creativeimagemaker.blogspot.com

Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Best of luck to you. If the Lulu option isn't too expensive, I plan to purchase one or both of the issues you mention. I just don't like to read magazines on a computer. If you build up a readership base and treat them right, you may be able to publish a conventional magazine eventually. Look at the number of people on APUG--the interest is there, and no magazine is currently filling the gap.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Chris and I are lucky in that we don't have to try to earn a living through the magazine, so we can keep costs down as low as possible. So far, I've personally funded the web-hosting and so on!

Here's to producing a real, proper, paper magazine - as it happens I'm in talks with a 'real' publisher...

Thank you.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yeah, what he said. ;P Anyway, the February magazine is online now.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    We have been hearing more and more interest in something paper for CIM. However, it is not in place yet. David and I are planning to offer you folks to be able to purchase a quarterly paper version of the .pdf content along with a little something special to up the ante, so to speak. We should have an idea of what we will do with this in time to announce it in the March issue of the .pdf. Feel free to download and print out the .pdf's in the meantime. That's what they are there for.
    I would prefer to purchase a CD version of the magazine rather than deal with more paper.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, the reason we are going with a paper version is that someone else house's the files and prints a book on demand by an individual. So we don't have to pay for a bunch up front and then try to sell them to recoup the investment. Right up our alley at this point. The reason we're not doing a CD is because it would be really cheesy and no more technically involved than what you could do from your own PC with a halfways decent CD burner. Might be an option down the road. But any of our viewers are free to do just that, hence the free download form the Lulu storefront.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello Don,

Chris is right that we have no plans to offer a CD with the magazines on, and that you could certainly download and burn your own - but if you would like a CD of the magazines (or a particular article from the website), PM me and we'll have a chat.

If you are unable to burn your own CD for any reason then I'm willing to burn you a CD, but there would be a small charge for my time and shipping over to the US. PM me if you are interested.

Thank you,
    David.

Quote Originally Posted by donbga View Post
    I would prefer to purchase a CD version of the magazine rather than deal with more paper.

Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good on ya, Chris! I've bookmarked your website.

I can think of at least one, maybe two magazines that still cater primarily to film users: View Camera and Rangefinder. I haven't seen a copy of the latter in quite some time, so I don't know if they're still in business. But VC is.

Best,

Michael
    Last edited by cooltouch; 01-28-2009 at 12:13 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin