Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,445   Online: 812
      
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45
  1. #1
    ted_smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    uk
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    396
    Images
    1

    A magazine dedicated to film photography?

    For the last couple of years, I've been subscribed to Practical Photography magazine, which has helped me learn quite a bit. For the last 8 or 9 months, I've become increasingly tired of "Want to achieve photos like this?...learn how...with Photoshop!!" and I feel I've outgrown it since my learning experiences gained at APUG.org. The PP mag seems to be 40% "How to use Photoshop..." which I have no interest in.

    I'm looking for a magazine, like APUG, that's dedicated and focused on traditional film photography and how to achieve effects by using films, filters, etc that are not via Photoshop.

    I've read the link about Fraction Magazine and I've found Black & White Photography but I'm not sure if that's just going to be a whole lot more of Photoshop desaturations?

    Cheers

    Ted
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

  2. #2
    Simplicius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Dublin Ireland
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    204
    Images
    13
    I'd like to know too
    Simplicius

    "defying gravity since 1898"

    My Flickr Account

  3. #3

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Daventry, Northamptonshire, England
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    7,049
    There's some debate about B&W Photography's future direction in terms of analogue photography but it represents the best we have in the U.K for analogue photography. I am amazed you found anything that was analogue in P.P as recently as 8-9 months ago. I picked it up a good number of months ago mistaking it for B&W as the issue was about B&W( i.e. digi and PS B&W) and it looked like the B&W mag - we'll that my excuse for being in a hurry and not checking properly - and found that there was nothing and I mean nothing about analogue photography. It was as if analogue no longer exists! It was worse than nothing - it was like a denial that there is still some analogue photography.

    It's B&W mag or nothing as far as I can see in the U.K. if you are analogue. Interestingly Nova Darkroom has reported an increase in analogue materials sales in 2008 but whether this will translate into viability for mags devoted even in part to analogue photography remains to be seen.

    pentaxuser

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    South Norfolk, United Kingdom
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,889
    Images
    62
    Pentaxuser,

    It would seem that Nova didn't run a spelling / grammar check before publishing. I'm glad to see I'm not alone...

    Tom.

  5. #5
    Christopher Walrath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Milton, DE, USA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    6,980
    Blog Entries
    29
    Images
    19
    I gotta put in a plug here. We are just leaving our infancy and entering toddler-dom. But try out Creative Image Maker magazine. We focus completely on film photography, or as we say, dedicated to traditional photographic processes. We are growing in our contributorship. And we have some good technical pieces coming out. Glass plates. Daguerreotypes. Lith printing. Introductory Zone System. Not to mention the dozens of excellent articles in our archives. We offer a monthly .pdf for download and are kicking around a quarterly paper publication for little or no profit. We have no overhead other than time at this point so we can pretty much be true to ourselves. So check it out. The link is in my signature.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

    "Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

  6. #6
    VaryaV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,256
    Images
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    I gotta put in a plug here. We are just leaving our infancy and entering toddler-dom. But try out Creative Image Maker magazine. We focus completely on film photography, or as we say, dedicated to traditional photographic processes. We are growing in our contributorship. And we have some good technical pieces coming out. Glass plates. Daguerreotypes. Lith printing. Introductory Zone System. Not to mention the dozens of excellent articles in our archives. We offer a monthly .pdf for download and are kicking around a quarterly paper publication for little or no profit. We have no overhead other than time at this point so we can pretty much be true to ourselves. So check it out. The link is in my signature.
    Hi Christopher - Thanks for posting the link to CIM mag. Wow- I would gladly pay a subscription to see this in a quarterly print. I don't know about others but I would. I have been ordering the old, old Aperture from Powells - Minor White days, just to get my hands on these precious babies..... such a treat. Thanks again - that is an exciting endevour.

  7. #7
    Christopher Walrath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Milton, DE, USA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    6,980
    Blog Entries
    29
    Images
    19
    Thank you for the kind words. As to a quarterly publication. It will be available from the same place as the .pdf downloads at the lulu storefront. It will just be an order for an actual book that you will need to pay and then it will be shipped to you. We're not at that point yet but we're working that general direction.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

    "Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

  8. #8
    ted_smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    uk
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    396
    Images
    1
    Chris

    I'm glad you plugged your mag. This looks very promising. My only 'problem' is that I spend ages in front of computers as it is (at work and at home) and get fed up of the eye strain. I like to read my photography books and magazines on the train, or when sitting in the bath, or when staying in hotel rooms. In other words, I'm not drawn to an online version. I would love to see you get this in print somehow. I would certainly subscribe, as would others I'm sure.

    PentaxUser - I didn't pick up Practical Photography for it's film content. I was subscribed to it since first going digital, but when I joined APUG about a year ago, I've steadily found PP to be less and less relevant to my interests. I recall the black and white edition you refer to as I also hoped there would be something about B&W film. The only reference I found was one of the expert photographers featured did say he shoots film, but other than that, nothing. Just a whole lot of "Move the slider here, then there..." Snore, snore.

    Cheers

    Ted
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

  9. #9
    Ian Grant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    West Midlands, UK, and Turkey
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    16,331
    Images
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    I am amazed you found anything that was analogue in P.P as recently as 8-9 months ago. I picked it up a good number of months ago mistaking it for B&W as the issue was about B&W( i.e. digi and PS B&W) and it looked like the B&W mag - we'll that my excuse for being in a hurry and not checking properly - and found that there was nothing and I mean nothing about analogue photography. It was as if analogue no longer exists! It was worse than nothing - it was like a denial that there is still some analogue photography.

    pentaxuser
    Yes I bought that issue at Istanbul Airport to read on a flight and was shocked to see no mention of film at all. I won't make the mistake of buying it again.

    I haven't seen B&W Magazine since my last visit to the UK, if it changes I'll let my subscription lapse, I gave it a chance, I notice the ex 2nd Editor stopped posting here instantly after he stepped down

    Ian

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by ted_smith View Post
    Chris

    I'm glad you plugged your mag. This looks very promising. My only 'problem' is that I spend ages in front of computers as it is (at work and at home) and get fed up of the eye strain. I like to read my photography books and magazines on the train, or when sitting in the bath, or when staying in hotel rooms. In other words, I'm not drawn to an online version. I would love to see you get this in print somehow. I would certainly subscribe, as would others I'm sure.

    Cheers

    Ted
    Seems you could down load the PDF and print it off at home or um...at work
    Then you could take it along and read it on the train or where ever. Just to bad the quality of the images would likely suffer greatly. The cost of printing it would be offset by the fact it is free to download.

    Jason

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin