Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,829   Online: 1094

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim68134
    This is why I rarely subscribe to photo magazines and never for long subscription periods if I do. I trust View Camera and Lens Work to be around, so I subscribe. I would like to subscribe to B&W (the US mag) and Black and White Photography (UK), but I don't trust them to be around a year from the time I subscribe. So I read the UK mag at Borders but rarely buy it and usually buy B&W but do skip some issues.
    Jim
    Isn't this why they go out of publication? I can't subscribe to View Camera because I am outside the US but have a standing order with Robert White in UK for every issue. Sometimes I get more out of it than others but if nobody buys it then I won't get anything from it. B&W mag (UK) is an excellent publication and in my opinion will stick around for quite a while. Ailsa ( the editor) is also an APUG'er and in my eyes is doing a sterling job.
    Its getting harder and harder to get good mags so I try and keep the existing ones alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim68134
    However, I am still planning to subscribe to Aggie's effort. I think becuase of the affiliation with APUG and the people invlolved I think it has a better chance at success.
    I look forward to any quality addition to the Analogue fold and will also subscribe to the mag as well.

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, it is a catch-22 for publishers. If I knew going in that I would be reimbursed or have my subscription transfered to another mag of my choice, (not Outdoor Photographer or Pop Photo etc) I would be more comfortable. When I mention View Camera and Lens Work it seems that they have had a pretty steady subscriber base for several years or growing as is the case with Lens Work. I think the APUG related publication if done well will be able to garner a similar following of dedicated subscribers. Another reason i have not ponied up for one of the other mags is that I would rather have the money go to the APUG effort.

View Camera has never missed an issue in 15 years and CameraArts has not missed an issue in 6 years.

We are going to be increasing our coverage of the traditional darkroom in both. Here is a question. Do you want separate darkroom articles or do you want supplements to the portfolios discussing the photographer's darkroom practices?

steve simmons

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Steve, can't speak for anyone other than myself, but I think a mixture of both would be great. Some discussion of the darkroom practices of a featured portfolio, then others discussing various darkroom features.

Aggie, not much I can offer other than sign me up when the time comes. Would be happy to sign up now to help get a little $ to start. I have learned to be patient....
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc
    Aggie, not much I can offer other than sign me up when the time comes. Would be happy to sign up now to help get a little $ to start. I have learned to be patient....
    Aggie, me too!
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc
    Aggie, me too!

Me too!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I agree that it's best to play it by ear, as it were, with where to put the darkroom stuff. It would be interesting in a magazine like VC to see some darkroom info along with the other technical information for each portfolio, but I could see that co-existing with darkroom technique features or a regular darkroom section.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Steve, a mix of both would be nice but maybe a supplement after a portfolio or article would be more practical.
    I'm sorry to hear about PhotoVision going under too, I guess that's why I've been missing the last issue. I guess that's the chance you take when subscribing to anything new. I figure with the free issue that Steve A. sent out before he left, I only got burned for 3 issues.
    As far as other magazines go, I have only good things to say about B&W Photography, VC and LensWorks, all are excellent publications. If it wasn't for the exchange rate I would certainly buy more of B&W magazine but the Cdn. dollar just isn't what it once was.
    Brian McDowell

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I purchase every copy of B&W Photography (UK) that I find on the shelves. I also learned about APUG from that magazine!
    John Harvey
    Colorado Springs, CO
    harveyje@usa.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by steve simmons
    View Camera has never missed an issue in 15 years and CameraArts has not missed an issue in 6 years.
    Well done Steve! I have the last 2 years and they are all very good

Quote Originally Posted by steve simmons
    We are going to be increasing our coverage of the traditional darkroom in both. Here is a question. Do you want separate darkroom articles or do you want supplements to the portfolios discussing the photographer's darkroom practices?
    I am always intrigued to hear how pro's manipulate their images in the darkroom and I am also keen to learn about different processes/materials

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin