Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,535   Online: 1091

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Yes Steve, I know you don't understand why it should be irritating but it seems that is only because you aren't listening to your readers>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You are right, I do not understand. At a time when other magazines are cutting back on the number of pages they put out and going to cheaper paper we've held constant on the number of pages, using the same quality of paper, and are actually producing more material than before for our readers. We are also producing this material in a PDF format which has become the industry standard for making documents portable and transferable. Why this irritates people is truly beyond me. Perhaps we should stop and then they will be happy again????!!!!!

Now, why does the password change every issue? Because if people let their subscription lapse they no longer will have access to that section of our web site. It is really very simple. The info is on the address label every issue. As time goes on we make it more and more obvious by participating in forums such as this one and by providing explanations in the magazine for everyone. We provide our Canadian and UK distributors the info so they can pass it along to their subscribers. Just ask them.

No, we won't quite producing the extra material and making it available on the web to our subscribers. We think it is a worthwhile activity and will continue.

Now, for the naysayers --- What is your problem and how would you suggest improving the system?

steve simmons

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by steve simmons
    Now, for the naysayers --- What is your problem and how would you suggest improving the system?steve simmons
    I don't understand why you would ask this again on this forum as you have consistantly ignored or discounted all the responses you have gotten. As a naysayer I will say DITTO to most of what has already been said repeatedly by many others. As I say listen !

In the end it's your magazine and you've done better than most could up to this point. I am sorry I mentioned the issue and I'll just go back to putting kids presents under the tree and eating cookies & milk.

Merry Christmas
    Bob

It is really very simple. Read the instructions that have been at the bottom of the magazine's Table of Contents page for the last several issues.

You need a User ID and a Password.

The User ID for View Camera is VCSUB

the password is a six digit number sequence that appears just above your name on the label. It is not your five digit street address, or a five digit sequence appearing anywhere else on your label. It is a six digit sequence that is printed just above your name. Again, the instructions have been on the bottom of the magazine's Table of Contents page for the last 3-4 issues. In the Jan/Feb issue there will be a more complete exp,lanation on the masthead page as well.

Now, the USER ID VCSUB remains the same issue to issue - you must enther this in CAPS not lower case letters. The six digit password changes each issue. This is done so that only current subscribers have access. If you miss the info on your label just ask as we have provided this info to hundreds of people over tha last few months.

Again, I ddo not understnad all the criticism we've received. We have increased the content of our magazine for subscribers and kept it the same for non subscribers at a time when other magazines have cut back.

Happy Holidays

steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't see a problem with a subscriber only section. Magazines need the commitment of subscriptions and the funding source, so much so that you get the issues at a substantial discount over the newstand price. As a further reward you get extra material on the web site. That is one of the reasons why I started to subscribe to VC. The info I could get and then print out is the equivalent to reducing my cost even further.

One of the reasons I became a Lens Work subscriber was not only the discount over newsstand rates, but the discount for Interviews on CD and folios.

I would also like to give a couple of other suggestions Steve. Keep up the alternative process articles. It was the article on Wet Plate Colodion that sparked my interest to begin exploring that process and liquid emulsions.
    Although I probably will not pursue Gum Bichromate, the article you ran was a fascinating look into a process I thought was suspect of ever producing good consistent results. These articles really make me appreciate the knowledge, skill and dedication of those who persue these processes.

These types of articles help increase awareness of the breadth artistic potential for LF and traditional photographic methods. That is good for all of us, it means more materials used, therefore more available.

Also, more portfolios by foreign photographers. You ran a portfolio a few years back by a German (Austrian?) photographer who shot ruins of castles and cathedrals, painting them with artificial light sources at night.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The problem for us foregniers is that the magazine is difficult to get hold of with only one outlet in Europe. It doesn't help that we can subscribe through Robert White, at least not for the "extra material". With the double transportation time and my offshore work, I doubt I would get that password when still valid...

The magazine may be both interesting and worth the price, but not being able to subscribe directly is a great hidrance - at least to me.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    [quote="Ole"]. It doesn't help that we can subscribe through Robert White,

I spoke to Robert Whites once about the magazine and the impression I gained was that they regarded the handling and distribution of VC as a bit of a chore.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Steve why don't you give us the password for an older issue so we can see what we are missing. If it look good enough maybe you might be able to increase your subscriber ship. Maybe you have done this in the past, but I have not seen it and I'm sure many others haven't. Or if it won't work that way give us the password and user name for this issue, as I've already bought it and would like to see how the two compliment each other.

Eric
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Steve why don't you give us the password for an older issue so we can see what we are missing. If it look good enough maybe you might be able to increase your subscriber ship. Maybe you have done this in the past, but I have not seen it and I'm sure many others haven't. Or if it won't work that way give us the password and user name for this issue, as I've already bought it and would like to see how the two compliment each other. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

First, because all of the supplemental material from past issues becomes immediatley accessible. We would be giving away material that others have paid for by being a subscriber. If you were a subscriber and found out others were able to get the info free how would you feel?

Secondly, because I've learned that there are people who will want free info over and over and never support the source. Look at PV for example. They gave away past issues on the web, fave away free subscriptions and issues, and gave away free advertising. When you do this it becomes almost impossible to convert this giveaway to a paid and viable situation.

Other magazines do give out cheap subscriptions and then load the content up with advertising and advertorial. We've chosen another model. We put the subscribers first and provide much more in the way of good reproductions and serious content. If you look at the content of our magazine against those with similar sub prices you wil find we use better paper, show more portfolios with technical explanations, and we due conferences to further the cause of good photography and we lobby to keep large format part of the big show in NYC when there were thoughts of dropping it.

If you buy 3.5 issues of the stand you've paid for a subscription and access to the web. We are starting a program where people can buy web access even if they are not a subscriber.For 25/year or 45/two years you can have access to info in one package that would take much longer in terms of time and effort, to find on the web by going from site to site to site.

I am proud of what we do and feel that our subscription prices are modest when compared to the content.

steve simmons
    www.viewcamera.com
    www.cameraarts.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Many expect all web content to be free, as in the spirit of the original internet when it was a research tool supported by public institutions. Today, businesses & commercial institutions provide a large percentage of the content; and most continue to struggle to find a viable way of making that content profitable. VC's methods for restricting access may seem cumbersome; but, if it will keep both the print & web versions available, I can live with the inconvenience.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin