Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,207   Posts: 1,531,895   Online: 1095

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have just received a copy of Don Kirby's latest book entitled Wheatcountry and would heartily recommend it as a book of inspiration for all Landscape photographers out there.

The Wheat lands are a very large but often overlooked subject, one that is usually taken for granted or ignored as desolate. Some find beauty in this desolation and Don has managed just that. By utilizing a personal technique has has manipulated the landscape and presented a dramatic yet sympathetic view.

As a budding Large Format Monochrome Landscape worker I would wholly recommend this book. Theres not much said about technique but a few casual references to 5x4, the Zone System etc but the pictures say all I needed from the book. These pictures inspire and invoke that urge in me to 'get out there'. For those who can't get out there its a memorable ride from the armchair.

www.donkirbyphotography.com

Phill Dresser
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi pictures aremuch better in person. I do agree though it is a wonderful book.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I saw his show here in Santa Fe and it was pretty amazing.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I met Don at the Bruce Barnbaum workshop. He's a great guy, but it takes awhile to warm up to him. Very stern and serious.

He uses a Master Tech camera and TMAX 100 film developed in Xtol. His printing skills are outstanding.

I will be taking the field trip / course from him in Sept on the coast of Oregon.

Don is from the wheatcountry and spent his youth busting dirt. Hence he has a real affinity for the farmer and their current plight.

His book represents very passionate work from an equally passionate photographer.

I have it in my collection and is infact sitting on my table just next to my easy chair as I had it out this weekend.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by EricR
    I met Don at the Bruce Barnbaum workshop. He's a great guy, but it takes awhile to warm up to him. Very stern and serious.
    Agreed. He's a very intelligent individual, with a very scientific mind. He used to design circuitry for the US space program while he worked at (I think) TRW...

He uses a Master Tech camera and TMAX 100 film developed in Xtol. His printing skills are outstanding.
    Fine camera, that MT :-D

Don is from the wheatcountry and spent his youth busting dirt. Hence he has a real affinity for the farmer and their current plight.
    Lenswork has an interview with him that's available on DVD. It's worth getting. You can also read the interview in one of the back issues.
    Cheers!

-klm.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks for posting this Phil. Being a native Wheathead, I'm always happy when someone can show the beauty of this "desolate" country as Don does. Desolate? I wonder where the "City Folks" think they get their food? Ahh, stupid me. It all comes from the supermarkets and food courts!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Hawley
    Thanks for posting this Phil. Being a native Wheathead, I'm always happy when someone can show the beauty of this "desolate" country as Don does. Desolate? I wonder where the "City Folks" think they get their food? Ahh, stupid me. It all comes from the supermarkets and food courts!
    You mean we eat this stuff!

Yes, I agree. As an horticulturist in a former life it is very funny to discus the origins of food with the 'un-educated'.
    I also lived bordering the Wheatlands of South Africa for 20 years and can relate to the landscape portrayed by Don very well. He does them justice

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin