Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,985   Posts: 1,523,961   Online: 856

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've discovered this book on Amazon. It looked interesting with encouraging reviews so I've ordered it. It was good decision, one of the best I've made this year. I finished it yesterday and I'm amazed.

Barry Thornton was on the side of classic BW photography and his enthusiasm or fascination with the sharpnes is the main line of the book. He is going through whole process - from camera to negativ and to the print. As a bonus there are some stories or notes from his life - very interesting is for the example the part about closing coal mines in Wales. But the strongest points of the book are in the parts where he is writing about what si the photo for him personaly, about how it "connecting him with the intense clarity of beings in moments experienced."

There were only two bad points. His previous book - Elements - is sell out. And when I looked on the net on his homepage I found out he passed away few months ago.

I can only strongly recomanded this book for everybody who loves landscapes or BW photo generaly. JK

...I'm sorry, but spellcheck don't work with my iBook

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think that all of these 'how to do' books contain something of value and certainly reflect the way the author sees his image making. Whether this type of photography is for you is another matter as we all try to evolve our own style. There is no question that B.T. was dedicated to the things he thought important and many people have found his books of interest (myself included!) The publishers of Elements are back in business but as a new Company and perhaps it could be reprinted but I do not know who holds the rights to publication.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've re-read Edge of Darkness at least twice. It is probably one of the best books on photography both for its technical knowledge & the sense of humanity that comes thru via glimpses of Barry's life & thoughts. I hope the widow can re-open the web-site & even get Elements re-printed. I never checked out his digital printing book because I'm not going in that direction.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I never checked out his digital printing book because I'm not going in that direction.
    I can say that that is equally as helpfull as elements and edge of darkness, although a little shabbily presented.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    I will have to agree with Doug. This is one of th ebest books I have read and I have learned so much from it.

This is definetely a keeper...

He has a digital printing book? What is the title of it?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    "Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect."

Shooter
    Large Format
    According to Barry Thornton's Website, he wrote 4 books:
    Elements (Out of print)
    Edge of Darkness
    Elements of Transition on digital printing
    Book of Dixactol
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think the book of DiXactol was never completed - it was going to be a book of photographs made by his customers and when one bought a pack of the developer, a submission form was included. I guess it will not happen now.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin