Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,915   Posts: 1,521,761   Online: 1060

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

in search for descent photomags (continued)

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    Lenswork, for the last 2 years and still 2 years to go (at least)
    To pick up this old thread: I didn't renew the Outdoor Photographer subscription. Way to many focussing on PS and other HDR uselessness.
    So I picked up this old post and it's replies to inform me on a photomag still worth reading and not full of d*g*craze and PS manipulation.
    Is there still any?

I got a trial version on the Lenswork mag. I took the 5$ pdf for getting a first impression.

Other candidates:

British Journal of Photography(BJP)
    Shutterbug

Your opinions are welcome, also more suggestions.

Thanks
    Reiner

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    None now that they are mostly digital and packed full of advertisements. I now spend my money of photographic books when I find them in charity shops.

I can often buy two good books for the price of one magazine.

Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I subscribe to "photo technique". Each issue seems pretty balanced between d******, analog, alternative and vintage techniques.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    OP is pretty funny to me. I subscribed a few months back for $2.99 (full year subscription) and the first issue I got was headlined "What would Ansel Shoot" and was entirely based on selling people the idea that if Ansel were alive today, he'd shoot a DSLR and use and iPad with CS5 and an Epson printer. Seriously? At least two pages fully dedicated to justifying why Ansel would shoot modern DSLR systems and then 20 pages selling us which systems those would be.

This last issue was all dedicated to upscaling resolution to match MF and using HDR to get better tonal ranges.

Ha!
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    View Camera Magazine -- a quality publication if one is interested in LF camera work.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I agree, that and lenswork. View camera is great even for someone like myself using MF. The technical and practical knowledge is unreal. But I mean, if I can get the same quality shots with a DSLR why would I want View Camera or Lenswork? I'll stick with OP.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My impression of Shutterbug is that it's pretty much digital these days. If you are young I would just start buying old magazines from the 70's and 80's and reading them instead. You are probably using the cameras of that era anyway. And they are full of darkroom articles. Old guys like me will soon be dumping our collections for cheap considering the postage to ship them. No media mail on magazines. I should do the same thing as I've forgotten all the articles I read the first time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's pretty difficult to find something descent these days. Why is it so hard for the editors to just concentrate on the essentials: light,composition,etc... and illustrate this with some nice examples of a invited "pro" or fine art artist who's willing to talk about his work and gear and a bit technique?
    I would love to buy a printed version of the inside analog photography podcast for instance... (hint,hint)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'll second that!
    K.S. Klain

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin