Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,539   Posts: 1,544,287   Online: 810

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

View Camera discussion group

Although I have thought about starting aView Camera magazine discussion group before this recent round of ugliness has made me start plans for a View Camera magazine discussion group on our web site. We wil start this foum at

www.viewcamera.com

on or about Aug. 1, 2004

We will have a panel of people ready to answer questions such as getting started in LF, lenses, pyro, view camera technique, etc.

I have not decided if this will be open to anyone or just subscribers. Any thoughts?

This new group will not tolerate the type of behavior that hasbeen repeatedly displayed on this and other forums where posters engage in character assasination and the name of the game is winning whatever the loss of civility and respect occurs along the way.

Stay tuned. More info will be posted on our web site by mid July

steve simmons

Shooter
    Large Format
    All I want to know is when am I going to get my prints back? Other than that I am sure it will be a peachy place with all the sycophants holding hands singing Kumbaya....

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The Lenswork site doesn't seem to be burning up the airways yet. Could be a drafty place Steve. I like it here, warts and all. The people I find really distasteful are on my ignore list so I don't ever have to see their postings.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd hate to see this evolve (is devolve a word?) into the same crap going on in the LF Forum thread. I like to think of the APUG crowd as being above all that.

I'm sure the View Camera forum will be helpful to many. I don't think it should be limited to subscribers though.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by steve simmons
    This new group will not tolerate the type of behavior that hasbeen repeatedly displayed on this and other forums where posters engage in character assasination and the name of the game is winning whatever the loss of civility and respect occurs along the way.
    [font=Times New Roman][size=3]Will blatant Commercial SPAM be tolerated there?[/size][/font]
    hi!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I was a subscriber to the magazine for a while and gave it up because of the hassles involved in getting it in Canada. It was just like you didn't want my subscription. At any rate, I don't believe that no longer being a subscriber makes my opinions any less valid even though I don't choose to express them as often as some others.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I am dismayed at the lack of ethics that are evidenced by the initial post to this thread. However I must say that Mr. Simmons behavior is certainly consistant. That is to say "shitty".

I wonder whether Mr. Simmons would accept requests for "no cost" promotional advertising from Photo Techniques, Black and White Photography, Black and White for Collectors, and any other photographic magazines to be placed in his publications? What do each of you think the result of such a request would be?

I have met some small minded and extremely resentful individuals in my life. However they pale in comparison to this individual and his behavior. I can see that there is one perceivable benefit of Mr. Simmons proposal. It may occupy him to the extent that he wouldn't take up space on sites like this. He could gaze upon his image in pool of his deluded narrcisstic view...there would be only those who would say "Atta boy, Steve!!!, "Right again!!!", "We are so sorry that people do not understand and appreciate your greatness".

Nuff said.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Steve,

I don't think limiting it to subscribers is a good idea. I'm a subscriber and have been off and on a few times and can never seem to save the logon crap on the mailer for the magazine. So what good is the subscriber section for me?

I think opening it up to anybody would be be a better way to introduce your magazine to new LF people, and possible get some more/new subscribers. Rather then limiting what people can see on your site, I would think you would want to be "The Place" where people go for LF information.

Just my thoughts. but I am glad to hear your putting up a new LF board.
    If more people talk about LF, maybe more people will actually shoot LF.
    George Losse
    www.georgelosse.com

orge's post above is a perfect exampleof why he will be banned fom the View Camera foum. He as alread asked that question about his prints and he has already been answered. The prints will go out this week. I know he saw my respopse becasue he made another caustic response.

The View Camera forum will be G ratd. Peoplewho come on and make ugly personal remarks will be banned. There is a huge difference between a professional level disagreement and a persnal attack. People who can't behave as if they know the difference will not be allowed to participate. People who can hve a discussion and keep it at a higher level will be welcome.

steve simmons

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Now I've never subscribed to View Camera, because of the hopless subscription terms for us foreigners. As long as it ramins that way, I will not subscribe.

Do we need (yet) another LF forum?

In my opinion, we don't. Not at all. With APUG, LFinfo, PDN and F32, we have four good forums for anything LF.

A forum which sorts contributors based on subscription to a magazine practically unavailable outside of the USA has no value at all to me.

Sometimes the "discussion" breaks down to personal attacks, often because some people make remarks that someone else finds offensive. They then make another snide remark, which the first person finds offensive, and pretty soon the snowball starts rolling.

A forum where the discussion is open and lively is interesting, but there will always be strong opinions about some more controversial topics. Learn to live with it, and delete whatever goes over the limit. Even if someone is occasionally rude, doesn't mean that he/she has no useful contributions on other topics.

Even this thread is coming close to the take-off point...

If "this new group will not tolerate the type of behavior...", I'm afraid I'll have to counsel Mr. Simmons to exclude himself along with most of the rest of us...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin