Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,512   Posts: 1,645,321   Online: 1086

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What really got me about digital was the use of photoshop. It is not such a bad program, it just is dependent on a good power source and a well functioning computer. How many here have sat in front of a computer and played or tried to create an image (not necessarily a photograph, and had the darn thing disappear off into the great ozone of the little box that now holds a black screen? I took photoshop classES and not just once did this happen. We all had a good laugh when it would happen to the teacher in the middle of her demonstration. You can periodically save, only to find that that neat effect you just did with one of the tools just got zapped and how the hell did you do it in the first place? I live in a household with two not just one but two computer uber geeks. They tell me constantly when I want to drop kick the darn computer into the swimming pool that it is normal. Normal my lilly white behind! When I work with photography using film, I have problems, but nothing like the black screens of death as my son calls them. If I have trouble with this process, and I have in house help, how many people out there are struggling to understand all the nuances of photoshop? How long before they become so totally disenchanted with the process they begin to search for a simpler way to create?

I just hope they wait a couple more years so I can reap the cream of the crop bargins on ebay. I hate to pay retail.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    People on this site have said two things about digital tech that I've found memorable. "Don't buy tomorrows technology with today's dollars." and "Don't subsidize prototype cameras with big bucks...and then do it again 6 months later."

My wife uses our Olympus C5050 a lot for family type stuff, spends a good deal of time in PS tweaking it, and then makes the best prints she can on our Epson 1280. Good equipment...all of it. But the camera's been replaced by a later model, PS 7 has been upgraded to PS Creative Suite, and the 1280 is old news superceded by the 2200 (I think it is). Her best efforts (and she's good at it) still don't measure up to the prints from her Oly Epic (a classic nearly cult camera) let alone her Nikon F90. Digi can be useful and fun, but despite the ranting of the radical pixelidiots, and the deluge of advertising, there's still no there there....not yet!
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Aggie, maybe it's the wrong software to use? I saw an advert in one of the digimags (can't remember the software, I know it wasn't photoshop) and their tagline was "SERIOUS SOFTWARE FOR SERIOUS PHOTOGRAPHERS". Maybe that will help you?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can deal with the software, I just can't deal with it suddenly disappearing for sometimes no reason other than the computer hiccuped.

Images
    So, there's that old joke: a guy goes into his doctor's office, and says, while flapping his arm up and down, "Doc, it hurts when I do this!" The doc says "Well, quite doing that."

A friend of mine takes his digi SLR out to the woods and spends a day shooting. Some of the shots are fine, but some have a problem, and all subsuquent shots have a problem. Takes it to a repair shop. The repairman asks "When you were out in the woods, did you change lenses?" "Yes", my friend says. "We really recommend that you not change lenses in such conditions." Seems that a microscopic bit of crud on the CCD caused it to wig out, and the cleaning of the CCD should not be attempted by a rookie.

As so often happens in our corporate-ruled consumer landscape, we've been sold a bill of goods.

I've told this story in another thread, so forgive me if you've already read it:

I spent the longest 4 days of my life working a part-time job at a Wolf Camera (on the front end, it seemed like a good idea). My overall impression: many people detest their cameras, especially the digis. This was in stark contrast to the affection that many of us APUGers have for that old AE-1 or Rolleiflex. If I'd had a stack of used AE-1s, I could have sold 'em all day.
    "If You Push Something Hard Enough, It Will fall over" - Fudd's First Law of Opposition

tbm
    Shooter
    35mm
    I have been using Leica's outstanding SLR and rangefinder equipment for years, as well as the vast variety of wonderful black & white and color slide film and black & white and color print film that we are so fortunate to have access to, and every time I go out to photograph I feel like a kid in an ice cream store! And the different results I get with different emulsions are fascinating to study, an experience that does not exist with filmless digital cameras. Thus, I do not plan to switch to digital-based photography and will continue to use only film for decades to come!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Clients told my gallery owner that they bought my last two prints because, "They are the only real photographs in your present collection."

I guess collectors just haven't gotten into the Millennium Age yet (lol). I seem to be advancing into the past. So far I've made it to circ 1939 and retreating. (A confession" I use Pho-----p to analyze prints!)
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like...creativity!
    Truly, dr bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tbm
    I have been using Leica's outstanding SLR and rangefinder equipment for years, as well as the vast variety of wonderful black & white and color slide film and black & white and color print film that we are so fortunate to have access to, and every time I go out to photograph I feel like a kid in an ice cream store! And the different results I get with different emulsions are fascinating to study, an experience that does not exist with filmless digital cameras. Thus, I do not plan to switch to digital-based photography and will continue to use only film for decades to come!
    This is exactly how I feel. Knowing how the emulsion will change a scene and choosing an emulsion to enhance a scene and having success with your choices offers for me some of the most satisfying experiences.

I always (as I'm sure everyone here does) try to choose the film for the purpose. When travelling to a new place I try to imagine what I will see and choose the film accordingly. Some times I miss entirely and other times hit it on the head -- which is just plain transcendental. I also crossprocess and or use extreme pushes or pulls to enhance (or aggravate) the results.

And finally I choose surfaces and paper types that add the final touch.

These are things that are so natural. They work hand in glove with the basic mechanics of framing, focusing, waiting, shooting. It simply doesn't exist in the digital process.

Granted the materials do not like to be treated in this manner. My work often will not meet the level of 'slickness*' others achieve or many viewers expect, but at the end of the day it is me and my camera.

*nothing disparaging is meant by this.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by dr bob
    (A confession" I use Pho-----p to analyze prints!)
    That's a major sin. Your soul is endangered...

Jorge O
    Curitiba - nice place to live, if you don't care about the weather...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Oliveira
    That's a major sin. Your soul is endangered...

Jorge O
    Per Volquartz uses his computer and photoshop to do the same as Dr. Bob. He looks at how burning and dodging using the computer would look like. then he goes into the darkroom and does the actual work there. He never prints using photoshop or a printer. Check his website and see how well his pictures turn out.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin