Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,495   Posts: 1,543,025   Online: 810

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Images

Per Volquartz

In a previous post, Aggie mentioned a photographer named Per Volquartz. Let me encourage everyone to check out his work. Amazing stuff!

http://www.volquartz.com/pervolquartz/index.html
    "If You Push Something Hard Enough, It Will fall over" - Fudd's First Law of Opposition

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Bennett
    In a previous post, Aggie mentioned a photographer named Per Volquartz. Let me encourage everyone to check out his work. Amazing stuff!

http://www.volquartz.com/pervolquartz/index.html

yes!! the guy is excellent. his dad's music and art continuum is very interesting to me too. as a musician, i've been aware of the 'temporal' vs. 'concrete' nature of these two disciplines. i often wonder if photography's appeal to so many musicians doesn't derive from the pleasure on gets apprehending one's (or another's) creation all at once rather than wait for it to unfold in real time. again...an fine site.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo
    Digi can be useful and fun, but despite the ranting of the radical pixelidiots, and the deluge of advertising, there's still no there there....not yet!
    Why is it that some analogue users cannot discuss digital without the ocasional comment quoted above. I'm very committed to black and white darkroom and silver prints but I also happen to feel the same about digital image making and do feel offended when I'm referred to as a "ranting radical pixelidiot" although I'm sure that John Voss is not deliberately trying to offend me or anyone else for that matter. I agree that there are people out there who are heavily involved in all the gimmicks and such that is available in their world but they enjoy it so lets not use emotive language and phrases to describe them. I've said many times both in posts and to photographers that I've encouraged to join the forum that APUG is an excellent place, full of passionate photographers with a lot of information to share and that it is the most well mannered and civil group that I've had the pleasure to associate with on the net. By all means have your say about the pros and cons of digital but please use less potentially abusive language. Thank you for reading the rant.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "I'm very committed to black and white darkroom and silver prints but I also happen to feel the same about digital image making and do feel offended when I'm referred to as a "ranting radical pixelidiot" although I'm sure that John Voss is not deliberately trying to offend me or anyone else for that matter."

Yes, Les, you're quite right. No offence intended. Perhaps surprisingly to you, however, it's more often (or at the very least 'as often') that digi heads have disparaging things to say about analog 'dinosaurs'. In "Photoshop for Photography, the art of pixel processing" by Tom Ang in fact the following sentence excerpt appears on page 10: "digital technology is sweeping aside the tedious inconvenience of dark-room paraphenalia and its medieval needs for perfect darkness and - if you please - cool running water." Medieval? Cool water a bad thing?? Now that's not aggressively negative, but in a book I paid $25 for, it's not particularly welcome either. (BTW...I've not burned the book or refused to read it...it's damn good in fact.) The shrillness of the digital horde is far more egregious on the pages of "Shutterbug" and other outlets eager to press the digital industries party line.

However, for the sake of world peace, and the championing of democratic ideals and gracious discourse, I will refrain from demeaning the world or the person of pixel-pixie partisans and apologize for my language. Pehaps I too will one day be...absorbed.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Don't be sad, Less. People use to be exagerate - or use abusive language - when they are arfraid. And lot of us here are afraid that digital can in some meaning kill analog photography. Btw I was thinking about you and your story, as digital turn you back to the photography. I'm at absolutly oposite point - the analog was what turn me back. But I know is only about me and only about today...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    John,

If you were to meet Tom Ang you would understand where is coming from and would not be offended by his words although I can understand your reaction. Tom is a very talented image maker and a very nice guy. I agree with your comments about those from the world of digital who are quick to throw insults in the direction of analogue but why should the serious minded people from either discipline lower standards by joining in. I also take the view that whilst they are all spending megabucks on kit it is helping in the development of the medium and ultimately benefits will come my way.

Juraj,

I'm certainly not afraid for I don't believe that digital will ever replace silver but I do believe that it offers a sensible extension to my image making.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Les McLean
    John,

.... I agree with your comments about those from the world of digital who are quick to throw insults in the direction of analogue but why should the serious minded people from either discipline lower standards by joining in. I also take the view that whilst they are all spending megabucks on kit it is helping in the development of the medium and ultimately benefits will come my way.
    Well said Les, I have to agree with you.

Images
    I also take the view that whilst they are all spending megabucks on kit it is helping in the development of the medium and ultimately benefits will come my way.
    Les, it's evident from your posts that you are a kind-hearted soul with an optimistic, generous outlook. But the "glass half empty" view would be this: why will manufacturers continue to make $3.00 rolls of film and $10.00 jugs of chemicals, when it's evident that many photographic customers will tolerate having to shell out big money on an on-going, neverending basis in order to keep "current." Sure, there will always be boutique manufacturers to supply our needs, but the big dogs will most certainly all bow out. Is this a bad thing? I dunno.........
    "If You Push Something Hard Enough, It Will fall over" - Fudd's First Law of Opposition

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I often have a bad attitude towards the digital crowd. I try to remain neutral but it's hard sometimes. It all started when I launched apug and a guy on pnet told me that I was trying to destroy the art of photography and ruin it's advancement for everyone, that the end result is all that matters yadda yadda. More recent events would be telling someone a few months ago that I was building a darkroom -they literally burst out laughing and said, "A darkroom!? Isn't that a bit dated?!" I calmed myself down before throwing him off the ferry, maybe I'm finally getting a thick skin

Images
    I'm with Juraj.
    When I was scanning and printing digitally, it was interesting and enjoyable and produced nice, clean pictures, but it wasn't until APUG inspired me to get my darkroom out of the boxes in the garage and order some classic B&W films and chemistry and be drawn back to the "Dark Slide" [sic], that I rediscovered the real joy and excitment that I got from photography in the early days.

Maybe I'm just walking several steps behind Les on the same path but dark and wet is where I am right now and I love it.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin