Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,764   Posts: 1,484,073   Online: 1030

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

FILM RULES; DIGI DROOLS!!!

In a welcome eddy of joy in the maelstrom of the digital tsunami, Black and White Magazine announces in issue 32 (August '04) that" THE WAIT IS OVER!". They will entertain submissions for the first time in two years for consideration for inclusion in their publication to be offered over the next two years. And guess what? What? you all exclaim!! NO DIGITAL PRINTS!! "Only prints made in the conventional way (film/darkroom); work captured and printied digitally is not accepted (there's no judgement in this-only a reflection of Black & White Magazine's limited focus.)"

Well....HOO"f'nRAY!!! let's all get back into our darkrooms and keep the safelights burning. At least someone is holding back the digital hordes!!
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This is fabulous news.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To think the collector B&W magazine knows where of the money is coming from that investors put into photography for arts sake.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I recall seeing them take this stance before, maybe Issue 18? and if you search pnet you'll see the digiheads bashing the Magazine because of this. Is this a one man show, or a continuing shift in the market recognizing the intrinsic value of handcrafted artwork over computer generated art? I am hoping for the latter..

Images
    Several months back in Black & White Photography, a short article quoted statistics that indicated a flattening out in the sales of digital cameras, and a slight rise in film cameras. Don't know the provenance of this, so a grain of salt is in order.

However, it wouldn't surprise me to see such a trend develop. Why? For one, I think people may begin to tire of planned obsolescence. For another, digital gear is just too fragile. My Nikon 4500 digital, $800.00 just 2 years ago and treated with kid gloves the whole time, just crapped out for no good reason. And, of course, it's "not worth fixing." Third: the digital stuff is, for the most part, way too complex for the average user. Hell, it is too complex for me. Unless your primary goal is emailing photos, digital is just plain not as easy or convenient as film.

'Course, I may be full of it, and just wishful thinking.
    "If You Push Something Hard Enough, It Will fall over" - Fudd's First Law of Opposition

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great news!!!

Shooter
    35mm
    There is another aspect, and it's frightening camera makers:
    The camera/mobile phone combo is (or will be shortly) outselling PS cameras.
    And the mobcam crowd does not care for quality or for printing anything.

Some marketing plans are backfiring...

Jorge O
    Curitiba - nice place to live, if you don't care about the weather...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Oliveira
    There is another aspect, and it's frightening camera makers:
    The camera/mobile phone combo is (or will be shortly) outselling PS cameras.
    And the mobcam crowd does not care for quality or for printing anything.

Some marketing plans are backfiring...

Jorge O
    Casio is releasing a 3.2megapixel phone/cam any day now too..

here's a link: http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/340/C2847/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    Casio is releasing a 3.2megapixel phone/cam any day now too..

here's a link: http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/340/C2847/
    LOL...3.2 meg is almost as good as the middle range prosumer cameras....and they have only been into this for a year or so.....It certainly is as good as some of the digital p&s...lol....this amuses me to no end. I dont know Sean, you might have predicted the future with your June 2008 piece......Imagine, get my pda/phone/camera/comb/blood pressure monitor/scale combo gizmo and take a master piece shot, hook it to the 9600 epson and have the 5' by 10' print...lol....

It won't be long, "Popular Cellphone Photography and Imaging"

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin