Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,469   Posts: 1,570,905   Online: 958

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    tac

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I really enjoyed Edge of Darkness, by Barry Thornton, inspiring.

http://www.amazon.com/Edge-Darkness-...5410737&sr=1-1

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    I appreciate the advice regarding looking through a red filter but, since I'm working with a rangefinder, that really doesn't help a lot. Even though I work primarily with film I do have a small digital camera that allows me to see black and white in the LCD on the back and I've been walking around looking at various scenes this way. I have also been spending quite a bit of time looking at black and white pictures as well. This is all helping but I have found in the past that reading about something and then going out and trying it out on film is also helpful.
    Just out of interest, SRB Film in the UK used to make a black and white viewer which you held up to your eye to 'see' the scene in black and white.
    Not sure if they still do this, but here's a link to their website:

http://www.srbfilm.co.uk/

Edit: Couldn't resist having a look at their catalogue, and it's great to see that they're still trading and supplying all the same sorts of things they used to, plus a lot more.

Here's what I was talking about:

http://www.srb-griturn.com/monovue-1601-p.asp

John
    Last edited by John Lawrence; 06-01-2010 at 01:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tac View Post
    I really enjoyed Edge of Darkness, by Barry Thornton, inspiring.

http://www.amazon.com/Edge-Darkness-...5410737&sr=1-1
    Me too! See also:

The Darkroom Cookbook and the Film Developing Cookbook-Anchell and Troop
    The Darkroom Handbook-Michael Langford
    John Blakemore's Black and White Photography Workshop
    Approaching Photography-Paul Hill
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll throw in David Vestal's Craft of Photography.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    +1!
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would second both Barry Thorntons Books. They are both eminently readable. Also you might try "From Seeing to Showing" by George E Todd published by Argentum. I know you did not want a technical work but it would be worth your while investing in Controls in Black and White Printing by Carson Graves and Black and White Photographic Printing Workshop by the late Larry Bartlett.

Shooter
    Large Format
    "Black & White Landscape Photography" by John & David Collett is an easy read with some helpful ideas on composition.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Another vote for "Edge of Darkness". Yes, it´s a technical book but you won´t recognize that. Barry Thornton had a great way to write: You learn something while beeing entertained.

Best Regards, Benjamin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And another one for "Edge of Darkness"!
    ________

Regards
    Folker

MonoArt - fine photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    BT does a great job of bridging the gap between the monograph and the technique orientated book.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin