Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,536   Posts: 1,645,975   Online: 1159

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Cartier-Bresson show at West Vancouver, BC museum - June 8 - August 28, 2010

Master of the Instant

Cartier-Bresson Photographs from the National Gallery of Canada

Organized by the National Gallery of Canada

June 8 - August 28, 2010
    Opening Reception: June 8, 7:00pm-9:00pm

Here is a link:

http://westvancouvermuseum.ca/exhibi...lery_of_canada
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I went to this exhibit last Friday.

I've never seen actual Cartier-Bresson prints before, so there was a fair amount of anticipation.

There were 27 prints - all of which were labelled "printed before 1947". They are part of the National Gallery of Canada's collection, most of which were acquired by the National Gallery in the 1960s.

It is a small gallery, and it certainly wasn't crowded. Admission is by "donation", but a donation of $5.00 is "suggested".

Almost all of the prints were on 8x10 or smaller paper. Many of the most iconic of Cartier-Bresson's images were represented.

The mounting, framing and presentation of the prints was excellent, and the light levels and other arrangements allowed you to examine the prints closely, or step back and view them from afar.

They were clearly "vintage" prints, and in fact a couple of them showed some signs of damage (corner creases).

I was struck by how warm the prints were, and how subtle the contrast was. They were very different from the reproductions I've seen in books and on the internet.

I enjoyed myself a lot, and would recommend a visit.

The link to the exhibit has been updated:

http://westvancouvermuseum.ca/exhibi...lery_of_canada

EDIT: believe it or not, someone has posted a couple of photographs of the exhibit on flikr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jmv/469...n/photostream/
    Last edited by MattKing; 06-14-2010 at 08:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Lucky man, I'd love to see this one.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin