Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,773   Online: 933

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Need to Find a Gallery

I am looking for great photography galleries that meet at least two criteria:

1). They do not cater to the pretentious "anything is art, especially crap" crowd. And,

2). They display excellent photography, but are not wedded to the Adams/Weston cult.

Anyone know of some good places?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    good luck!
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    yes but they wont accept you or allow you indoors

lets define pretension

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I actually share your exclusion criteria, and I don't think they're pretentious. But they don't narrow it down very much. No advice given here will spare you using shoe leather or expenditures for contacting galleries with your work. When your work doesn't fit with their concept, it's my experience that they are very accommodating to recommend you on or give you advice on changes you could do to your portfolio.
    One forum for such contacts is in Arles in July. I can wholeheartedly recommend the portfolio viewings there, and the South of France isn't bad, either.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Jones View Post

1). They do not cater to the pretentious "anything is art, especially crap" crowd. And,

2). They display excellent photography, but are not wedded to the Adams/Weston cult.

if I were you I'd just count yourself lucky if you can find a gallery willing to display your work. They aren't running charities. They are in business to make money. They couldn't give a stuff whether your work is good bad or indifferent art. They are only interested in whether they can sell it which I suspect is no different from you. So eat your pride and make work that people want to buy or starve.

p.s. if people who buy what is loosely called art are the pretentious "anything is art, especially crap" crowd, then you better make some crap or starve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tlitody View Post
    if I were you I'd just count yourself lucky if you can find a gallery willing to display your work. They aren't running charities. They are in business to make money. They couldn't give a stuff whether your work is good bad or indifferent art. They are only interested in whether they can sell it which I suspect is no different from you. So eat your pride and make work that people want to buy or starve.

p.s. if people who buy what is loosely called art are the pretentious "anything is art, especially crap" crowd, then you better make some crap or starve.
    Hey, Titoldy: Who are you, exactly? You don't even know what my work looks like. Hey, I've got STANDARDS pal, and I'm asking for helpful advice, not from someone who makes comments about my work knowing nothing about what I do.

I'm asking, btw, because I haven't exhibited in seven years. I made some good money when I was in it before.
    Last edited by SuzanneR; 06-13-2010 at 08:59 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: edited out the persoanl attacks

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the recommendations. Shoe leather I don't mind wearing out, just want some clues as to where to start. Are there cities in South of France you'd recommend?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Jones View Post

Your question is vague at best. Are you looking to buy photographs or are you looking for a gallery to represent your photographs? A good place to research galleries is a small magazine called, Photograph. They have gallery listings from all over the U.S. with links to their websites. You can see the artists they represent, and their submission guidelines.

http://www.photographmag.com/

These days, the best way to get your work out there and shown among art galleries is to participate in juried shows, and in portfolio review events. There are a number of them each year.

And lastly, everyone, let's keep things cordial please.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Seems someone has misread the good natured jibes for a personal attack. Hey pal, the world doesn't revolve around you, this is all about having fun, and passing along useful info. There arent too many of us here that are that arrogant that feel they are without peer. The way it works here is, post a dumb question, recieve many dumb answers ( or in this case come off like a pompous ass, get shot down ).
    BTW-- welcome to APUG, home of the worlds finest (and humblest) film photographers in the world, but you will never hear them call themselves that. Feel free to ask many questions, and you will recieve an abundance of answers. I would ask you refrain from bad language, as younger folk access this site, and are interested in learning about film. Their parents allow them here because, for the most part, this is a wholesome site, and we do not want to lose them over someones tirade and lack of vocabulary.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ralnphot View Post
    Seems someone has misread the good natured jibes for a personal attack. Hey pal, the world doesn't revolve around you, this is all about having fun, and passing along useful info. There arent too many of us here that are that arrogant that feel they are without peer. The way it works here is, post a dumb question, recieve many dumb answers ( or in this case come off like a pompous ass, get shot down ).
    BTW-- welcome to APUG, home of the worlds finest (and humblest) film photographers in the world, but you will never hear them call themselves that. Feel free to ask many questions, and you will recieve an abundance of answers. I would ask you refrain from bad language, as younger folk access this site, and are interested in learning about film. Their parents allow them here because, for the most part, this is a wholesome site, and we do not want to lose them over someones tirade and lack of vocabulary.
    Hi Rick,
    I don't know about you but that exchange between the two lads made me laugh out loud. I would like to thank them both for that, now back to photography.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin