Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,775   Posts: 1,484,518   Online: 798

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Yousuf Karsh: Industrial Images / Brandon Manitoba Canada

Starting June 30th/2010 and running to August 14 at the Art Gallery of Southwestern Manitoba - Brandon, Manitoba, Canada.

From their brochure:

'...the industrial portraits of Yousuf Karsh are at present a little-studied
    yet surprisingly substantial aspect of his career. the portrait sitters at Ford Motors were ordinary automotive workers, not celebrities. The images of these men, and of their fellow workers at the Atlas Steel Factory in Welland,
    Ontario, Sharon Steel in Pennsylvania, and a variety of other commercial
    images, are nevertheless as dramatic as Karsh’s better-known images of
    statesmen and other luminaries. Indeed, the photographs emphasize a
    modernist notion of the worker-as-hero, illustrating the artist’s belief that
    “the story of Ford of Canada’s progress can best be told in terms of people."

This is a terrific exhibition coming to a very hard-working gallery. For those within driving distance, this is a must-see.

As a trivia note, it's also where myself and fellow Ape Hugger "thebanana" do our printing and we are very grateful for a first-rate facility.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Not to be missed. I saw this exhibit at the McMichael Gallery in Kleinburg last year and it was eye-popping.
    Considerably AWOL at the present time...

Archive/Blog: http://davidwilliamwhite.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not to be missed. I saw this exhibit at the McMichael Gallery in Kleinburg last year and it was eye-popping.
    I did too; I still see the pictures in my mind. Unbelievable experience to see the actual prints.
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Does anyone know if this is a tour? I drove to Winnipeg 3 years ago to see the Andy Warhol exhibit only to have it come to Regina 4 months later.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I would drop a line to the gallery and ask -- their website is agsm.ca

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I saw this too at the Micheal. Well worth seeing.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin