Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,974   Posts: 1,558,730   Online: 814

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

View Camera Online Edition

Can someone explain to me why on VC main opage I can read:

When you subscribe at any time during the yearly period, you will be charged the full price of $25.00 U.S.

and when I am on subscription page text is:
    View Camera International/PDF eSubscription - 1 Year $27.50.

I send that question to VC several times but still waiting for an answer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I suggest you see if you can find a camera store near you that stocks it, if there are any. I won't subscribe but I occasionally purchase a copy when it looks interesting. It has so many typos and big white blocks frequently covering the content that I like to make sure the portions that I'm most interested in are readable before I buy it. If I subscribed, I wouldn't get to check first. Between checking for readability and seeing if I'm really interested enough to spend the money, I get to read it once in a while and usually spend less than the subscription price each year. Sure, I miss out on some articles that I might like to read but I also miss out on being frustrated at not being able to see part of the article because part of the layout ended up being on a layer below a big white box.

Don't get me wrong, I love View Camera magazine when I can read it. I just don't think their editors do a good enough job to make it worth subscribing to.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    As I am in France, no way to find it in any store, that's the reason I choose Online Edition. But I don't understand why I paid $2.50 more than advertised on the main page.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They are not too good at web pages & updates, so the price has risen but not been updated.

I subscribed for 2 years to the on-line edition but they don't seem bothered about chasing or even suggesting/reminding renewal, and each month you have to email a request to get the new password for the subscriber on-line content, this is sent out with the printed edition.

Then the way the PDF articles are laid out for download is very poor although the quality is good. I'm in two minds as to whether it's worth re-subscribing.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It seems as though Steve Simmons has other interests besides the magazine. The last issue I've found locally was 10/09.
    For what could be a very high quality magazine, it's disappointing for simple oversight errors. If it's not misspellings in the text it's in the captions. Another simple error is the use of homonyms that spell check won't catch

I've got no experience in publishing, but how hard can it be? I've thought for years that this would be an excellent vehicle for adding 35 & MF to the mix along with
    a minor amount of analog & not allowing digi to take precedence. He would have the market pretty much to himself.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    ted harris passed away a few years ago.
    while he working at VC he was deeply involved
    with editing and probably making sure things didn't slip through
    the cracks .... before mr harris was there the magazine suffered
    the same things it seems to be suffering from nowadays.

you might try to make sure the email address you are mailing to
    is still valid, or just keep trying to reach them, it is a small office staff.

good luck !
    john

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin