Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,847   Online: 846

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Let him do everything himself, without supervision. He may make mistakes, however, he will learn faster.

JMHO
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd think the Horenstein book would be appropriate for his age.
    The fact that college students can't read at grade level is unfortunate but we don't want to hurt anyone's feelings by not advancing them to the next grade.
    In a (sort of) related rant. I was in a video store recently and a young man about twenty was attempting to read a synopsis of a film & stumbling over just about every word.
    Disgusting!
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    Let him do everything himself, without supervision. He may make mistakes, however, he will learn faster.

JMHO
    When my father took me deer hunting, we had an agreement:

The first time I shot a deer, he'd clean it and I'd help.
    The second time I shot a deer, I would clean it and he would help.
    The third time I was on my own.

Daniel, the nephew, is on his second time. One more time and I'll try to get him to work on his own, at least as much as possible.

I think it's time to start printing up those charts for the wall.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I first started out when I was 15, there was stuff I'd encounter in the books I read that was over my head. I'd keep at it, and a few months later I'd re-read the same section that I couldn't grasp, and by then it'd make perfect sense. Books that can be too advanced in areas initially aren't a bad thing...but I think the fact most photography related books have plenty of pictures helped me, too.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Last summer I gave my copy of this book to my son, who had just turned 12. He was taking a b&w film class at a local art center. Some of the book was slow going for him, but I do think he got something out of the more practical information. But honestly he got a lot more out of just shooting and developing film and printing negatives with the teacher's close instruction. The book alone would have turned him off photography. He's a great reader and student, but it was clear to me that the book is pitched above his level.

I disagree somewhat with the guy who says let him do everything himself without supervision. My son did need supervision and instruction, and I think any kid his age would, just to know how the mechanical parts work, and how to load the film, and other things that aren't intuitively obvious. How the shutter speed and aperture integrate is easy for them to understand when you explain it -- it's like a puzzle -- but it's not self-evident. I think you don't want to hand him a camera and a roll of film and a developing reel and walk away. That would be a recipe for a broken camera and a ruined film and a kid who gives up film. But in my son's case, talking it through and then letting him do it himself was a lot more helpful than reading about it.

If you've ever seen kids this age with a new device or video game or anything, they just pick them up and start working them, so I think they have a lot more confidence than we older folks do.

-Laura

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The book would definitely be an adjunct to the learning process not a substitute for it.

As much as I want him to do things by himself whenever possible, I don't think it's right to simply turn him loose in the darkroom until I know he's ready. Right now, he can perform all the tasks and I don't need to be there looking over his shoulder every minute but I do need to remind him of things. Making some charts for the wall will help with a lot of that but, until he proves he can do it 100% by himself, I'll be there to help. Even when I'm not right there, he can still holler when he needs something.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    great job randy.
    he sounds about ready to do it on his own
    ( with or without the book )

Shooter
    35mm
    The only things I would add to what has been said is to get him to make his own wall charts, and let him put them next to yours. Also get him a small notebook, if he has questions he can write them down, or he can make his own notes for what he wants to do. You can always double check his work before he makes a wall chart, or he can work directly from his own notes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin