Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,487   Online: 815

Shooter
    Multi Format

LF from Saudi Arabia

Hello everybody,

I am a nature photographer from Saudi Arabia, 15 year experience with 35mm & MF. To move another step on the photography ladder, I think it is wise to wander with new medium and format..entering the world of Large format. For the past weeks, I have a complete system from a friend of mine, the system consists of:
    1) Sinar F2 camera
    2) 90mm lens, 150mm lens, and 210mm lens
    3) 4 holders, changing bag, focusing loup
    4) one expired packet of Velvia 50

I shot now 2 shots and the result was as expected (one blurry, and one was shot on wrong side but I had so much fun fighting with that giant..I really enjoyed it because I feel Large format is only for real men

Anyway, can you help me guys find the good books on this new world, I am well expert when it come to photography (in fact I publish a book on one city here in Saudi Arabia), so I know the art of nature photography in general...it is LF that I have no experience in. Also, my eyes are looking at an Ebony 45SU, do you think that it is close from the Sinar F2 camera in term of finding the correct f/stop and placing DoF?

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ansel Adam's "The Camera" and "The Negative" are fantastic. They'll cover a lot of basics, but I think you'll learn a lot about LF from these books as well. Also, "View Camera Technique" by Leslie Stroebel is a great book about using movements, etc.

Good luck & welcome to LF

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mohsen al-Dajani,last year I also bought a large format camera(Burke&James 5x7).Sounds like you have experience with anlog photography already so thats 90% of the learning curve,the rest is dealing with swings and tilts and loading the film holders with takes practice. I assume that yous is a mono rail camera which is a very good one,for nature and out side stuff the flat bed camera is much easier to carry around .You might also check out the Large Format Forum which has a lot of info about the L.F. camera and techniques.Post some of your photo's here,like to see them.

Mike

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Large format is only for real men.

Yes, that's way Dorothea Lange and Margaret Burke White were such masters with the format.

Sounds like you're having a good time with the learning curve. Keep shooting.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The books mentioned are good, I actually prefer Stroebel's book over The Camera. However, for me, the very best beginners book for large format was "Large-Format Photography" (Kodak Publication, No. O-18e.)

This book has very good, basic information on using LF and should be part of everyone's library. As said, you sound like you are having fun, so keep shooting away at it.

Best regards, Harry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh I went for a while and I am surprised to see these replies...looks this web/forum is very active, much better than the large format forum info where the time space between replies spans for years.

Thanks everyone for the info, I will definitely get the "View Camera Technique". In fact, I already have couple of books on the subject like:
    1) "Using the view camera" by Steve Simmone
    2) Joe Cornish's superb book "Light & landscape photography"
    3) "Examples" by Ansel Adams

But still very hunger and will get more. Regarding my photography please take a look at my web: www.mohsenaldajani.com very straight forward web but should be completed soon.

I am still looking for more books please.

Thanks

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Look at "Large Format Nature Photography" by Jack Dykinga. Lots of good info in there. http://www.amazon.com/Large-Format-N...8529907&sr=8-5

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohsen al-Dajani View Post
    Oh I went for a while and I am surprised to see these replies...looks this web/forum is very active, much better than the large format forum info where the time space between replies spans for years.

Thanks everyone for the info, I will definitely get the "View Camera Technique". In fact, I already have couple of books on the subject like:
    1) "Using the view camera" by Steve Simmone
    2) Joe Cornish's superb book "Light & landscape photography"
    3) "Examples" by Ansel Adams

But still very hunger and will get more. Regarding my photography please take a look at my web: www.mohsenaldajani.com very straight forward web but should be completed soon.

I am still looking for more books please.

Thanks
    Your website shows a stunning portfolio.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great PHOTO'S Mohsen.
    Mike

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin