Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,781   Online: 890

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Mr. Jensen, the editor, is unabashed about featuring great photography accomplished by any means, and in my opinion his magazine (and as far as printing quality goes calling it a magazine sort of misses the mark) does just that. Film images might be featured more if there were more submissions from film shooters that met the criteria for the magazine. I believe that the magazine holds absolutely no prejudices at all, other than an affinity for the best of photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I whole heartedly agree

Quote Originally Posted by wfe View Post
    It's probably the best true photography publication out there and is about photography and the creative process not about digital or analog. I find that it offers choices and options of which there are many for photographers today. If a photograph is strong and has merit it's strong regardless of how it was created. I believe that they evaluate the submissions without even knowing weather they are analog or digital.
    I think great images are great images regardless of the medium. Shooting a bad image on film doesn't improve it nor give it greater validity. For the record, I shoot both and was trained traditionally with film and the use of the darkroom. There's a Chinese saying "It doesn't matter if the cat is black or white as long as it catches mice".

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    I think great images are great images regardless of the medium. Shooting a bad image on film doesn't improve it nor give it greater validity. For the record, I shoot both and was trained traditionally with film and the use of the darkroom. There's a Chinese saying "It doesn't matter if the cat is black or white as long as it catches mice".
    Same when you wok the dog.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Not constructive to the art and craft of photography

Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Same when you wok the dog.
    Your comment doesn't further the art and craft of photography. Yes Chinese people do eat dogs, but how is that related to photography? BTW, I'm of Chinese ancestry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Now now, play nice

Thanks for the comments. I have to admit for the price (it appears to be double, though, if you get it shipped to Aust), it certainly seems to be good value from what I read.

And my comments? Last night I had a look through the website, which includes Brooks blogs........which seemed to smatter a lot about digital processing, CS5, etc, etc. I have to admit that if the magazine was full of articles on processing on a PC, I would leave it alone (I get enough of that from many other mags).

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    Your comment doesn't further the art and craft of photography. Yes Chinese people do eat dogs, but how is that related to photography? BTW, I'm of Chinese ancestry
    I have eaten dog. I did not, however, photograph it, so you've got me there. I'm not Chinese.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think started getting more accepting of digital as Brooks started getting more comfortable with digital. When I heard a podcast when he spoke of no longer using his darkroom, I lost interest in LENSWORK.

I am not a snob or a purest, I love both film and that electronic form of photography... It's just right now at this time in my life, I've returned to film and the labors/joys associated with it. Anything outside of my tunnel vision of film distracts me from shooting. I get caught up all the gear, software, etc. Film is simpler and my return to it improved my photography.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I subscribe to Lenswork magazine and skip the extended. I like to read and look at a nice portfolio in the hand. They always have something of intrest. I am a bit tired of old, poor, farmers in Quazumistan being "art"
    Brooks, please enough. Poor does not = Art.

I was a long time suscriber to Aperture. Gave that up ten years ago. Just could not take anymore cross processed film beaten and frayed, reported as "art". Aperture is the home of MFA's with no craftmanship covering their lack of skill with artspeak.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanline View Post
    I think started getting more accepting of digital as Brooks started getting more comfortable with digital. When I heard a podcast when he spoke of no longer using his darkroom, I lost interest in LENSWORK.

I am not a snob or a purest, I love both film and that electronic form of photography... It's just right now at this time in my life, I've returned to film and the labors/joys associated with it. Anything outside of my tunnel vision of film distracts me from shooting. I get caught up all the gear, software, etc. Film is simpler and my return to it improved my photography.

I think I agree. I stopped listening to the podcasts for the same reason, and they are excellent.

It's fair to say that a great many of us here use digital & analog, from choice or sometimes necessity, (most of the Moderators included) but we are here because of a passion for traditional photography. So it gets frustrating to have an unbalanced approach, but that's his decision, it may well mean some of us don't subscribe to Lenswork because of this, perhaps unfairly.

The same sentiments are in the very long thread about the UK B&W magazine.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by photobum View Post
    Aperture is the home of MFA's with no craftmanship covering their lack of skill with artspeak.
    I find this statement intriguing. I used to work with a Director of Aperture. At a function we attended I attempted to discuss her views on the publication, photography as art, and photography as a passion. Her responses seemed hollow and rehearsed on all three topics. As they say in Italy, "tutto fumo, niente arrosto," which translates to "all smoke and no roast." Aperture's decline may have developed from the top down.
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin