Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,337   Posts: 1,537,598   Online: 1109

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EricR
    I just picked this book up from the library and WOW! It has a lot of Weston pics I have never seen before. Stunning stuff and gives me a further appreciation of his genius. The reproduction is of the highest quality. If you can get your hands on it you will be justly rewarded.
    Yup - I got my hands on it when it was first published, off Amazon. If you like EW's work at all - worth every cent!

I would say the following even if Paula and I did not just publish an Edward Weston book. In fact, I said it in a posting on Tuan´s site (or on Photo.net) when the book first came out about a year ago (more or less).

In my opinion many of the reproduction in "EW: A Legacy" are terrible. Too many blown out highlights (something that never appears in an Edward Weston print) for one thing. I am not near the book now or I would be specific.

While the book is certainly a good book--some seldom reproduced work is included--and a worthy one to buy, the reproductions are truly the worst I have ever seen in a serious Edward Weston book.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Head bowed for my tech observation skills

Shooter
    Large Format
    I will comment further on Michael and Paula's book on Edward Weston. I received my copy of the book that they published today. What a treat!!! This book is undoubtedly one of the finest books on Edward Weston that I have had the pleasure to see. The reproductions are incredible and the accompanying text is first rate. I would consider this to be the benchmark by which all others are judged.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Smith
    In my opinion many of the reproduction in "EW: A Legacy" are terrible. Too many blown out highlights. While the book is certainly a good book--some seldom reproduced work is included--and a worthy one to buy, the reproductions are truly the worst I have ever seen in a serious Edward Weston book.
    I have several "serious" EW books and this ones reproductions rate well up there. Maybe you got a lousy copy. It certainly isn't the worse by any stretch. One thing I learned in sales is to not knock the competition, it just makes you look bad.

I am sure MAS's and Paula's EW book is beautiful. Maybe someday I will get to see it.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

I understand about not knocking the competition. I do not like to do it. I did write about the Legacy book when it first came out, before ours was even on press. I had heard good things about it, but the reproductions were truly a great disappointment. In a couple of months, when I return. I´d like to see your copy, Eric. I´ll pay postage both ways. Either, yes, I got a bad copy, in which case I will publicly recant, or many, not all, of the reproductions are simply not good.

Everyone has a right to their opinion, but I have found on forums like this that many do not have informed opinions. Stieglitz said once that people are only too apt to be satisfied by the imperfect, but once they see the perfect next to the imperfect they see the difference immediately. (That is a paraphrase, but the words "perfect" and "imperfect" are Stieglitz´s.)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Unfortunately I can't do this as mine is a library copy. But tell you what, just so I can see what a truely wonderful and near perfect copy your newly published book is I will take you up on your kind offer for a copy of your new book. That way I can see what it is I'm am suppose to strive towards. Cost wise it's the same for you. I'll even give you my credit card number as a deposit to insure you get it back.

How about it? Time to put your money where your mouth is.

eric
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

You´re on. Contact me when we return from Iceland in mid-September.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Smith
    You´re on. Contact me when we return from Iceland in mid-September.
    I've PM'd you my contact info. Thanks.

Eric
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You might as well just buy it, as you are going to want to keep it. The reproductions in Michael and Paula's new Weston book are just great. I caught my wife (who knows nothing about photography) going through it before I had a chance to, and she said something along the lines of "there is this fantastic picture of a pepper in here." I said "Pepper No. 30?" and she thumbed to it and said "how did you know that?" and then said something about my being a "photo geek" which I won't quote fully here. :-)

The book is truly awesome on a number of levels, as is the Deep Springs book. Probably the best $100 I've spent on anything in a long time.
    "I know of no country in which there is so little independence of mind and real freedom of discussion as in America." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin