Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,848   Online: 681

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Smith
    You´re on. Contact me when we return from Iceland in mid-September.
    Well I PM'd you 07/27 and you still haven't picked up the message. I'm sure you have been back in town since then.

That's one of the nice things about the net, when you make a promise online in a forum like this, it's there for all to see.

Eric
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Eric,- I find the best way to contact Michael is via his website, and the book, which I have a copy of, blows away "legacy" of which I also have a copy of.

Quote Originally Posted by EricR
    Well I PM'd you 07/27 and you still haven't picked up the message. I'm sure you have been back in town since then.

That's one of the nice things about the net, when you make a promise online in a forum like this, it's there for all to see.

Eric
    David Boyce

When bankers get together for dinner, they discuss art. When artists get together for dinner, they discuss money. Oscar Wilde Blog fp4.blogspot.com

I do not check PMs unless I receive an email at my email address telling me there is one waiting for me.

My web site is well known: www.michaelandpaula.com and my email address is posted there. Some kind soul notified me that this posting was here or I would not have found it. Those who email me at home email address know that I respond fast if I am around.

Michael

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Smith
    I do not check PMs unless I receive an email at my email address telling me there is one waiting for me.

My web site is well known: www.michaelandpaula.com and my email address is posted there. Some kind soul notified me that this posting was here or I would not have found it. Those who email me at home email address know that I respond fast if I am around.

Michael
    I can verify that Michael does in fact respond very quickly to emails. I have always received prompt replys from him.

Jim
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"...Wayne Gretzky

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Just to let everyone know Michael has sent me the book and I've had it for about 2 weeks. Currently I am doing a type of densitometer analysis of several prints between 3 Weston books I now have. So far the results are interesting. My review will not only encompass the print/reproduction quality but the overall impression and usefulness of the book as both a research tool and just plain nice to look at book.

I hope to have this done by weeks end.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Large Format
    Just to let everyone know Michael has sent me the book and I've had it for about 2 weeks. Currently I am doing a type of densitometer analysis of several prints between 3 Weston books I now have. So far the results are interesting. My review will not only encompass the print/reproduction quality but the overall impression and usefulness of the book as both a research tool and just plain nice to look at book.

It would be nice to have the actual prints to compare the reflection density of the three books to the actual prints. If anyone has an original Edw Weston print that they would be willing to share for a short indefinite time and that is contained within any of the books I promise that I will do the analysis and return it when I get good and ready...fair enough???

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I went to a EW show recently. I was very impress with the collection and since I work with color I had fun with the dozen color trans of EW's. I also enjoyed the letters and cards from him to his sister and back. There was history in them. I wonder if that will change with computers and email?
    The only thing was the room that the prints were shown in was dark compared to the rooms showing paintings. They had maybe 1 single light to each print.
    Does anyone know why that was? Are EW's prints fading? Was they lighting such as to make the viewers get close for the details?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert8x10
    I went to a EW show recently. I was very impress with the collection and since I work with color I had fun with the dozen color trans of EW's. I also enjoyed the letters and cards from him to his sister and back. There was history in them. I wonder if that will change with computers and email?
    The only thing was the room that the prints were shown in was dark compared to the rooms showing paintings. They had maybe 1 single light to each print.
    Does anyone know why that was? Are EW's prints fading? Was they lighting such as to make the viewers get close for the details?
    I have noted the same thing regarding the lighting of the EW prints at the Amon Carter in Ft Worth. The light seemed inordinantly dim. The prints that Edward produced have always been acknowledged as being printed very heavy but also very rich. He intended them to be viewed under rather bright light. When viewed under those conditions the prints absolutely glow. It makes me wonder why they are not presented in the manner that he intended.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

The approach certainly seems comprehensive. Looking forward to your results.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I have the Legacy book and a couple of the prints that are in it. I have to say there is a fairly large contrast gain in the reproduction.

I gave it a look while at the Huntington when the show was on, and the show was beautiful. I bought a couple of the books as presents and while I wouldn't say it was a horrible reproduction, I've seen some really bad ones, it does gain contrast.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin