Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,079   Online: 992

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John McCallum
    Yes I like his work, though haven't been able to see a large amount yet. There is a preview of his book at: http://www.photoeye.com/templates/mS...?Catalog=ZC247
    Yes, some of those images are the prints that were in the back of Tom Till's gallery. Not that I didn't like Tom's images; however, I spent more time in the back looking at the B&W images.
    Facts are facts; however, perception is reality.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So far only Les has mentioned Thomas Joshua Cooper. I think that he is an outstanding photographer. When I first saw his work I was skeptical, annoyed. "What the hell is this pretentious twaddle?" Well, I changed my mind - he's been one of those photographers who inspire me, though our pictures are very different. "Eye to eye. Keep going." in Tom's words.

So:

Between Dark and Dark

Dreaming the Gokstadt

Landscape, loosely defined.

My four favorite B&W, 2 of whom I haven't heard mentioned yet:
    Wynn Bullock - The Enchanted Landscape
    George Tice - Urban Landscapes
    Michael Kenna - 20 Year Retrospective
    Paul Caponigro - Masterworks

My four favorite Color, none of whom I heard mentioned yet:
    Joel Sternfeld - American Prospects
    Stephen Shore - Uncommon Places
    McDuff Everton - The Western Horizon
    Beahan and McPhee - No Ordinary Land

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I thought that this was a B&W thread, so didn't mention any colour...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Arrrghhh.....you read the question and then your mind goes blank, any other time you have the names of these photographers at your fingertips.

Shame on me, how could I have failed to mention George Tice, Moreley Bear, and Wynn Bullock.

A couple more whom have passed under the radar are Dick Arentz and Carl Weese.

And of course, I am surprised to see nobody has mentioned Michael A. Smith, whatever my philosophical and editing disagreements are with him, I think he is darn good, but I think I would categorize him as an environmental more than a landscape photographer. It is a shame he does not do more portraits also. By the way Michael, what the heck does the "A" stand for? Abner?...

Dr Phil started off mentioning two color photographers. I thought he missed some really good ones. this is APUG; it's a warm nurturing environment and you're allowed to be slightly disfunctional here.
    Who are your favorite color photographers, Helen?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stephen Shore, Joel Sternfeld (I'm looking at American Prospects right now), Beahan and McPhee (does this sound like a familiar list?)... and most of the others that come to mind immediately are MF, I think. Wim Wenders, Harry Callahan...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Ryuijie.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    While I don't own it, I remember seeing a book about the Glen Canyon before the dam was built. Maybe it was Elliot Porter? It was a wonderful color landscape book. That is one i would like to have but i don't know if it is still in print.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    William Henry Jackson, Given the time he worked in and the equip,emt he had, he did remarkable work. His were the photographs that influenced the congress critters to creat Yellowstone National Park.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin