Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,662   Online: 959

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

availability of books to Aus from Amazon and others

Is there something wrong with my Amazon requests for books recommended in APUG fora? I've tried multiple times to get Tony Worobiec's Beyond Monochrome - to no avail. I've tried today to get Darkroom 1 & 2 by Wynne Bullock and Jane Kelly - won't ship to Tasmania or Australia. Ditto for Michael Martone's Dark Light?
    Can anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong?
    Alternatively, can anyone suggest an Australian bookseller with any of these books available?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It seems that these books are only available through other sellers, *not* Amazon (out of print?), and they determine themselves if they wish to ship internationally. There are a couple of sellers who state they'll ship internationally (New or Used) - if Tassie and/or Australia aren't coming up, you could drop them a line and ask why.

I've had success asking about certain books, even when they haven't listed international shipping, so you haven't got anything to lose.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    use http://www.priceusa.com.au/ they will send it to you

If theyre out of print, maybe there is an online version?

Shooter
    35mm
    I've had to resort to using relatives and friends in Canada & US to trans ship to Oz. Doesn't help if you don't know anybody there though.......just a thought.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bugger Amazon, try Book Depository;

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/

The first of your wanted books is certainly available there, the others may be difficult to find new anywhere, but there are tips for secondhand copies.

NO POSTAGE CHARGES! They have been swift and on the ball for my first purchases. I saw a book in the Museum of Contemporary Art in Sydney for AUD 160, Book Depository's price was AUD 78.

Regards - Ross

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For second hand I use abebooks
    For new I search via booko
    Booko will search all online sellers & display the results in AUD including postage so it's easy to find the best price. Very often Book Depository turns out to be the cheapest but there are instances where Amazon is cheaper including postage.
    I've been buying a lot of new & second hand books recently. There was a Jeanloup Sieff book published by Taschen in a local shop for $40. I got it for $15 incl postage from Book Depository.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Friend of a friend set up this site: booko.com.au

Go!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sometimes it's easier to order a book directly from the publisher. For example, Focal Press (a division of Elsevier) has an Australian office, and I understand they'll sell directly to end customers. So, if the book you're looking for is a Focal Press publication contact:

http://www.elsevier.com.au/static.as...P_contact%20us
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another source for searching is www.bookfinder.com, which shows hits from Abe as well as other sources. It and Abe will usually give you many more sources for a given title than Amazon. The dealers listed by Bookfinder and Abe are mostly in the U.S. but booksellers anywhere are able to and do participate, and it should help you find some in Oz. Or, at worst, dealers who are willing to ship there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions. Phew! There is hope - to get new/secondhand photographic "bibles" to my end of the earth I'll let you know the results.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin