Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,714   Posts: 1,514,724   Online: 841

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Until recently I would have said Tim Rudman's Toning book, because it was so hard to find another.

Same for Way Beyond Monochrome, except I knew much earlier that the 2nd edition was on it's way.

I have two sets of the AA trilogy - and know that it's relatively easy to get more.

So I guess I have to look for another that is rare and hard to find .
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know that this more than one book, it came as a set. Life Library of Photography.

Jeff

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Great subject. Love the suggestions. For me to choose would be too painful, difficult, unnecessary and frustrating. I will simply take my most recent purchase. “Detroit Disassembled, Photographs by Andrew Moore.” The exhibit was staged by the Akron Art Museum. The first edition was sold out before I saw the book. “They” decided on a second printing which I willing paid full retail to obtain. Andrew Moore will be speaking about his work September 16th at the museum and perhaps he will be kind enough to sign my book.

http://www.akronartmuseum.org/exhibi....php?unid=1499

“Watch behind-the-scenes footage that includes interviews with Andrew Moore, exhibition curator Barbara Tannenbaum and funders Fred and Laura Ruth Bidwell in this Detroit Disassembled documentary produced by Western Reserve PBS”.
    http://video.westernreservepublicmed...eo/1536891086/

John Powers

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great thread!

Unfortunately, I cannot offer a suggestion, because I really need most of my books.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, no answer to my question yet, so I will answer for both.

If it was a technical book or text book, it would probably be "The Book of Alternative Photographic Processes," by Christopher James; the newer, fatter edition. I don't do alt. processes more than silver prints, but I sure as heck need a book to do them when I do.

If it was a photo book, it would be a difficult choice between "Color Photography," (Ernst Haas), "Lee Friedlander" (1970), "Figments from the Real World," (Garry Winogrand), "Clifford Coffin (Even though I am not really interested in fashion photography, Coffin's images are amazing to me. If you have to shoot fashion, this is the way to do it, IMHO.), and, of course, "The Americans."

If it came down to it, I'd probably pick the Friedlander book out of the photo books, and the alt. processes book out of photo books and technical books combined. It is the most useful to me. I have seen the pix in the books a zillion times, and pix are nothing more than entertainment anyhow. I'd keep the Christopher James book because it is something that would teach me something about photo history and processes all in one.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 09-01-2010 at 05:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Which book to keep vs which book was most important to have read in the past is two different answers. AA books never did anything for me but EWs day books did. I would keep one of my Irving Penn books.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Jim

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Josef Hoflehner - Iceland or Keith Arnatt's retrospective as it always makes me smile.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Of the several hundred books in my library the one with the most information is
    "Handbook of Photography", by Henry and Dudley, 1939, thus i would keep it.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    35mm
    "Minamata," by W. Eugene Smith. The crowning achievement of a major photographer and a testament to persistence and personal involvement.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin