Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,711   Posts: 1,548,654   Online: 1139

View Poll Results: Ratio of How-to vs Picture Books

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • 100:1 or less

5 55.56%
  • 10:1

1 11.11%
  • 5:1

0 0%
  • 2:1

1 11.11%
  • 1:1

0 0%
  • 1:2

0 0%
  • 1:5

1 11.11%
  • 1:10

0 0%
  • 1:100 or more

1 11.11%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Le Poll isn't working.....

For every how-to book I have 50 or more picture books and combined 45 how-to-picture books.

I'll know soon when the library is finished.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    So ya know, Sean. It worked on mobile access.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some one pulled the handle down to hard,could not vote,must be a chad problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Worked fine on Google Chrome.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Worked fine for some people so it must work fine, perhaps I pushed the ENTER button too hard.

Next Thread.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In the beginning I had a lot of how-to books -- I was living abroad in a foreign country (wait! I still am!) and trying to teach myself everything about film photography with a manual SLR as I had no other resources to draw from, and the internet was slow and expensive and not easily come by (this was Japan c.2001). But as I got better and more confident in my skills I realized the content of my photographs needed work, and as such, I drew much more inspiration from picture books and those books tend to be the type of photo books I buy now. Even so, the ratio of how-to books still outnumbers the picture books, probably somewhere around 2:1.

That being said, in my recent move back to Japan, the majority of books I brought with me were how-to books, mostly alt processes books, Anchell's darkroom cookbook, and all of Rudman's books, because I know they'll be valuable resources for me here. I didn't bring Way Beyond Monochrome because it's such a heavy book and I knew the second edition would be out this year (which I can't wait to get!). I also brought some 'process/philosophy' books (for lack of a better word since they are not how-to or picture books), like Art and Fear, the Tao of Photography, etc. which tends to me interest me more now as well.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The question "in your library" I took to mean "in my local public library". In that case it is 1:10. In my own library it is more like 1:1.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I use LibraryThing for my photography book catalogue: 62 technique books out of a total of 315. Most of the technique books I bought a long time ago and rarely look at - they really need a new home. That said, I've recently found some interesting old how-to books - for example Abney & Clark's Platinotype from 1898 and a book on negative retouching from 1914. It's fascinating to find out how much we've forgotten.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Probably about 2:1 or 1:1.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    i actually thought this was about THE library
    like a social commentary thing
    lol

i have the time life set that i think of as picture books and other books not about photography but with great photography in them
    I'd say its 5:30

1:6?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin