Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,519   Posts: 1,543,783   Online: 805

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

What is your favorite photography book?

I find that there are certain books that I keep coming back to because they either inspire me or stimulate my creative juices. At the moment the books I go back to most are: "Large Format Nature Photography" by Jack Dykinga and "Light and the Art of Landscape Photography" by Joe Cornish (sold under a different name in the UK I think). I take these two books wherever I travel.

I would be interested in knowing what your favorites are and why.

Thanks,
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I will never be without Les Mclean's "Creative Black & White Photography" (a shameless plug for our fellow APUG member - but it truly is a wonderful book).

And I find myself returning again and again to "Galen Rowell's Inner Game of Outdoor Photography." It makes me want to load the camera with some Velvia and hike/climb into some faraway places. Then again, I'm waiting for a pizza to be delivered.

I also enjoy "Avedon At Work in the American West" by Laura Wilson - it's like getting a chance to peek over his shoulder while he creates some of his famous portraits.

Joe
    Last edited by noblebeast; 08-08-2004 at 03:04 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Latent Images Plastic Toy Cameras

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive" - Howard Thurman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One of my favorite books is a collection of Pierre Fatumbi Verger's work. I bought this book after seeing a show of over 800 of his photos (yeah, 800... it was more than I could bear). The guy's sense of geometry (in the 6x6 format) is truly amazing.

Another favorite is a collection of Eugene Smith's work.

I have a small book of André Kertez that I also really like....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh yeah, and then there's André Cypriano's O Caldeirão do Diabo or "The Devil's Caldron", which is a great work in documentary photography, shot in a maximum security prision in Brazil before it was shut down. Very strong work.

I think I have a thing for photographer's with the same name as myself... how shameless!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I second the vote on Les McLean's Creative Black and White Photography.
    I have a second one in mind as well, but I cannot as readily recall the photographer. I return to these two books again and again.
    Rusty Tripod

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Jeanloup Sieff and Cyclpops By Albert Watson. Both very different shooters with different approaches with great results. And 100% comfortable in they're own skin.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ah yes Sieff!

For me at the moment - Salgado's Migrations.

Images
    For technical and aesthetic info, I keep returning to "Creative Elements" by Eddie Ephraums. For inspiration and a humbling reminder of what black-and-white printing can look like, Brett Weston's "A Personal Selection" is a favorite.
    I recently purchased "Japan" by Michael Kenna. The photographs are very nice, but it's the elegant design of the book (enclosed in a silk-covered slip-case) that adds to the experience of looking at the photographs.
    --Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just picked up "Still Life and Special Effects Photography" by Roger Hicks and Frances Schultz. It's a collection of studio photos from over 40 artists and how they set them up.
    Personal favourites? Which ever book I have in my hand at the time, I don't own very many...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Lee Miller: Portraits From A Life, is my latest aquisition. Just love Man Ray stuff too. And Thomas S how long 'til the book?
    ~John~
    --------------------------
    www.johnbrewerphotography.com
    There are 10 types of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin