Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,836   Posts: 1,582,423   Online: 718

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    " but the U.S. can't produce anything for the B&W (mostly) analog enthusiast."

This really is a shame. Fact is the U.S. can't produce much of anything in a mag for film users. Pop Photo should be renamed Pop PhotoSHOP! There is very little about photography in it anymore. Thank goodness for our Brit and Aussie friends when it comes to film mags! As for the cost of the Aussie mag, I get it from Hastings Books for $7.00 a copy. Not bad at all for a mag with no ads. I only wish it were monthly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's interesting how threads like this develop and become eye openers. On this side of the pond we generally get the impression that in the States there are more opportunities, materials and supply chain for everyones interests. Strange to hear that with things like mags us and the Aussies have got it right. I guess sometimes it's hard to see ye olde wood for the tree's and appreciate what we have over here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TPPhotog
    Ouch ... just think how many rolls of film that would buy lol
    Rodinal for your life & that of your offspring & possibly theirs! haha
    Jeanette
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BWGirl
    Rodinal for your life & that of your offspring & possibly theirs! haha
    Jeanette
    Only 3 generations? If the bottle is unopenned maybe another couple :o LOL

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've picked up the mag at newstands for past couple of years & enjoyed its content. Unfortunately, according to the editorial, it too will be flowing with the digi tsunami. I just do not understand why magazines feel compelled to offer beginning level photoshop advice on how to de-saturate an image, etc.. Those embracing the digi revolution will hardly be satisfied with such paltry offerings while those of us who view digi as a different path will see fewer articles to our needs.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ha! I just bought my first copy and have eagerly read it cover to cover. It seems to be a tax write off kind of vanity enterprise of the publisher. Thank goodness for people like him!! The paper stock is first rate, the articles...well...they're a work in progress but eminently worth reading, but the images are not nearly as well printed as Lenswork's are despite the quality of the paper. I am, nonetheless, immensely impressed by the publisher's passion and enthusiasm. His committment to analog, traditional photography is perhaps unique at the moment, although he explains in his editorial, that the inevitable digital component of contemporary craft may not be possible to just ignore. By all means buy it if you can....like apug itself, it's a rare and precious entitiy and needs the support of all who highly regard its' reason for being.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by doughowk
    I've picked up the mag at newstands for past couple of years & enjoyed its content. Unfortunately, according to the editorial, it too will be flowing with the digi tsunami.
    I'm not sure that's quite what the Editor meant, however it is a rather sad fact that all such publications will have to attract a wider consumer base somehow. Even Lenswork, for example, relies on the sale of non-photographs to make ends meet.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo
    By all means buy it if you can....like apug itself, it's a rare and precious entitiy and needs the support of all who highly regard its' reason for being.
    That just about sums up my feelings, a little like using the corner shop so that it may still be there next year.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean Williams
    " but the U.S. can't produce anything for the B&W (mostly) analog enthusiast."
    I pick up a mag called B&W. I believe it's printed California. Now it may not be analog only, but it seems like an ok mag to me. It has ads but not half the mag like a lot of others. It does show case various artists and their work. Another mag I am thinking of dropping is PhotoLife. It deals with mostly colour, but lately has been mostly Digital. Doesn't have a lot of ads and they are Canadian dealers/shops. A rareity here when most other mags have more NYC shop ads than pics.
    Last edited by rogueish; 08-16-2004 at 10:40 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: so it would make sense

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    From the website under subscriptions~~

USA / Canada

2 Year Subscription
    US Subscription: $40 USD
    +
    Express Air Mail: $26 USD
    =
    Total: $66 USD
    "Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect."

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin