Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,414   Posts: 1,596,594   Online: 1193

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The zone system

Images
    Not the reflective kind. That is the extent of my densitometer knowledge. I was going to ask the same question.

Jim,
    Sorry I neglected to answer your offer. Sorry about that. I just might take you up on it when things quiet down here. In one month I will be able to breate again. The masters will be complete the teaching semester will be in full swing, and my son will have gotten over the seperation anxiety of me going back to work.

By the way how does one take a picture of a step wedge? Something I have always wondered.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    reflective type is for paper.

Try Fred Picker's book "The Zone VI workshop". an easier read,
    or check out Les's book where he discusses another way to test.

The ZS, is helpful to understand tones , metering, exposure and a variety of other things in our field. It is not necessary to be a slave to the system. it is just a tool and langauge to aid in communication.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Mark and Ann..need to pick up Les's book anyhow, just another good reason to do so.

Ann, I agree about the ZS, a tool not a do all/be all.

Wondering, how many folks actually use a densitometer?
    Mike C

Rambles

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I do, but have used a variety of other methods with success.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc
    Thanks Mark and Ann..need to pick up Les's book anyhow, just another good reason to do so.

Ann, I agree about the ZS, a tool not a do all/be all.

Wondering, how many folks actually use a densitometer?
    I do...I begin with testing the paper exposure scale using a reflection densitometer. I next match my negative density range to the papers exposure scale using a transmission densitometer. This is basic BTZS type stuff.

One can get by without a densitometer. They just make things easier.

Shooter
    Multi Format

WinPlotter?

Quote Originally Posted by JMoore
    But with that said I can also tell you the the system when used with the ExpoDev and WinPlotter software is great!
    Jim
    WinPlotter?
    ExpoDev?
    Densitometers?
    Sorry guys you lost me again.
    If I need gadgets and computers to tell me if my negs are good/bad, then I'm in real trouble! (I still argue with the scanner). I'll just stick with the way I'm going. My prints may not be professional level (or maybe even decent amature level), but i feel I'm getting better. And I'm happy with most of my prints. Perhaps TZS znd BTZS are not for me...
    Thanks for all the info anyway!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I haven't tried this, but you might find you already own a densitometer of sorts.

A program called Vuescan, which can run most flatbed scanners, has a function that allows film densities to be estimated. By all accounts, it is reasonably accurate and could be used with the BTZS method with some minor adjustments/calibration.

So if you have a scanner with film capabilities, you may already own the densitometer you're after. Vuescan costs about US$80 and can be used with nearly every scanner on the market. Go to www.hamrick.com and have a look.

Personally, I'd try getting one or two negs done by a person with a real densitometer first, then compare the results with the Vuescan estimation.

Cheers,
    Graeme Hird
    www.scenebyhird.com

Failure is NOT an option! It comes bundled with your software ....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin