Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,914   Posts: 1,521,730   Online: 1083

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

"Why Photographs Work" by George Barr

Just a heads up. A recently released book, "Why Photographs Work" that analyzes the work of 52 photographers (Kenna, Burnstine, Burkholder, etc, myself included and probably some other APUG members as well), includes the photographer's own perspective on their images, technicals behind the images and George Barr's excellent analysis. I highly recommend it notwithstanding my own small contribution to it.

It's only been out for a few weeks and is already scheduled for a second printing.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Brian: thank you for mentioning this book. As it happens I am in the middle of a personal project that has caused me to think about the "why" of my pictures as much as the "how" and "what." I made a trip to my local B&N and picked it up the other day. It is enlightening to read the author's description of why the photographs are successful, as well as the photographer's perspective.

Congratulations to you and the other Apuggers who have work in the book. Well done all of you.
    Regards,
    Dan Henderson

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My lovely wife gave me this book fro Christmas and it is destined to become a favorite of mine. Impressive photographs, impressive commentary.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was fortunate to receive a copy from Per Volquartz when I took a darkroom workshop last month. Wonderful book and workshop! I highly recommend both the book and his workshop. He's a great teacher and wealth of photographic knowledge!
    Gary P

Images
    Bump to the earlier posts. I received a copy as a gift and am slowly making my way through the text and photographs. It is a wonderful book with an eclectic selection of beautifully reproduced imagery, and text that provides a glimpse of insight into the creative process. I'll be sharing it with my students.

BTW Brian, lovely image.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mine's on the way. Thanks for the pointer; it seems like this book fills exactly a niche in which I've been looking for something for a long time.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On my Amazon wish list... looks like a great book.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My copy arrived today!
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin