Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,137   Online: 887
      
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    4

    Call for Entries - "Decisive Moments" - Online Photo Exhibit Honoring Cartier-Bresson

    Women In Photography International (WIPI) announces a call for entries for “Decisive Moments - A Tribute to Henri Cartier-Bresson,” an international juried online photographic exhibition of works by female photographers.

    Deadline for entries is December 1, 2004, midnight PST. Exhibition will run from January 10 – March 1, 2005 at www.WomenInPhotography.org.

    Cartier-Bresson is well known for his concept of the “decisive moment” in photography. He defined this moment as “the simultaneous recognition, in a fraction of a second, of the significance of an event as well as of a precise organization of forms which gave that event its proper expression."

    The call for entries is open to female photographers, professional and amateur, using any photographic process. Entries must illustrate Cartier-Bresson’s concept of the “decisive moment” in photography.

    All entries must be submitted as digital files via the online form at www.WomenInPhotography.org. Prizes and jurors to be announced.

    TIMELINE:
    Deadline for Entries - December 1, 2004
    Early Entry Discount - 2 for 1 entry fee through September 30
    Notification of Acceptance - December 20, 2004
    Exhibit Dates - January 10 - March 1, 2005

    For more information visit www.WomenInPhotography.org/decisivemoments

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    464
    Images
    6
    Only open to female photographers??? Or photogaphers who happen to be female?

    Cartier Bresson couldn't even enter if he were alive.

    Open it to everyone, don't discrimate.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    4,530
    Quote Originally Posted by WarEaglemtn
    Only open to female photographers??? Or photogaphers who happen to be female?

    Cartier Bresson couldn't even enter if he were alive.

    Open it to everyone, don't discrimate.
    You are wasting your time WarE, besides, apparently the concept of analog photography is one that is hard for them to understand , given that ALL entries must be digital files. I doubt HCB would have entered or submitted pictures that required to be only digital files....kind of ironic...no?

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,042
    Surely this is the kind of thing that gets well intentioned organizations into the comic books or am I missing something here? Anything that encourages females into photography and just as importantly gives female photographers more exposure I'm all in favour of ... but come on digital only!!

  5. #5
    rogueish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    3rd Rock
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    877
    It is a web site. I'm sure they have limited time and limited budget. I doubt anyone involved has the time (or patience) to not just sort through what could be thousands of digital images, but then sort through, and scan physical prints as well. What do you think Sean would say if we were to send him our prints to be posted rather than scanning and submitting electronically?
    (Umm... Sean, why are you looking at me like that?)
    All the power to them and I hope they get (and show) some truely great material.
    Just to play devil's advocate and open a whole can of worms; what do you think would happen if "Men in Photography" was to hold a contest open only to <gasp!> "Men"?
    Last edited by rogueish; 09-28-2004 at 07:45 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling as usual...

  6. #6
    sparx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Norfolk UK
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    376
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueish
    Just to play devil's advocate and open a whole can of worms; what do you think would happen if "Men in Photography" was to hold a contest open only to <gasp!> "Men"?
    You're stepping into a whole new world called 'Don't even go there!'
    [size=1]the all new darkplanet photoblog[/size][size=1]
    [/size]

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    4,530
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueish
    It is a web site. I'm sure they have limited time and limited budget. I doubt anyone involved has the time (or patience) to not just sort through what could be thousands of digital images, but then sort through, and scan physical prints as well. What do you think Sean would say if we were to send him our prints to be posted rather than scanning and submitting electronically?
    (Umm... Sean, why are you looking at me like that?)
    All the power to them and I hope they get (and show) some truely great material.
    Just to play devil's advocate and open a whole can of worms; what do you think would happen if "Men in Photography" was to hold a contest open only to <gasp!> "Men"?
    IMO neither argument washes. Sean is not actually asking for submissions, nor is he organizing a contest. I am sure if he was going to organize an APUG contest he would have allowed any kind of entry, from anybody! All they need to do is say, if you need to have your entry scanned, send $XX with the entry to cover the costs and we dont guarantee the quality of scan.

    As to "men in photography"...well, any organization that would only limit entries from men deserves all the grief they would get....just like this one is.



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin