Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,916   Posts: 1,584,715   Online: 822

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Magazines: Best, worst, dead

After dropping about $70 on magazines at a trip to Chapters (Canada's version of BN/Borders), I'd like to subscribe but want to avoid magazines that are dying...

So what are you all reading and why? And what should I avoid due to poor subscription management or because you sense the grim reaper is soon to bring the magazine to its final resting place?

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by segedi View Post
    After dropping about $70 on magazines at a trip to Chapters (Canada's version of BN/Borders), I'd like to subscribe but want to avoid magazines that are dying...

So what are you all reading and why? And what should I avoid due to poor subscription management or because you sense the grim reaper is soon to bring the magazine to its final resting place?
    Are we talking photo/imaging/graphics titles or what?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Photo titles yes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't buy magazines any more they are full of articles about digital photography that I'm not interested in, I prefer to buy photographic books about the branches of photography that I am interested in, because there's much more hard information in them than you get in magazines
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been reading books as well. Luckily the public library system here has a great selection.

Shooter
    35mm
    Same as Ben, above, I don't go near any of the photo mags - they'll full of advertorials, articles on how to copy someone else's style and screen grabs from software programs. Total dross. The only exceptions are probably Aperture and Lens Work, the latter being extremely expensive due to international postage costs.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I don't buy magazines any more they are full of articles about digital photography that I'm not interested in,
    Me too. I look at the bookstore, but I very rarely buy any photo mags anymore. B&W was the last one I bought regularly. When they started allowing digital a few years ago, I dropped it. Same with View Camera, only that one I dropped a loooong time ago. Tis a shame too, I liked it when it was all film based, and i still have stacks of them.

I'd love to find a magazine to replace all the ones that have been lost, but it doesn't seem likely to happen soon. Emulsion was the last best hope, and that fizzled fast...

Here's an idea: magazines with mixed content should have print version of all analog content, and web-based versions of their digital content. It wouldn't be that hard to do...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I think the truth is that all magazines are in danger of failing. Having said that, the best periodical on photography is "Lenswork", which is only available by subscription. After that, "B and W" ("Black and White Magazine") is also excellent as well its' sister publication "Color". I just recently renewed my subscription to "View Camera" and I would urge anyone who is interested to subscribe to it as well. In the past VC has published invaluable information for the large format enthusiast and has given to its readers exposure to many fine photographers and their work. An upcoming monograph of George Tice's work will be published by VC soon, I believe in March. That is one issue you probably won't want to miss.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For a hit of pure eye candy, I always go for Interview.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have been buying out of print photography books a lot the past couple years. The library grows in leaps and bounds. I also try and purchase obscure magazine issues, 70's on back.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin