Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,190   Online: 971

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    GJA, another thing you can do is use APUG and lfpi to locate LFers in your area. Generally you'll find that LFers are a friendly and helpful lot, willing to provide hands-on advice. Much can be learned in one session with another LFer. Yes the web has advice and articles aplenty, but... nothing beats meeting real people and getting to know how they operate and how they think. APUG is a tremendous resource for finding other photographers in your area. I've met literally dozens of friendly people in my area through apug.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    APUG is a tremendous resource for finding other photographers in your area. I've met literally dozens of friendly people in my area through apug.

You might want to add your location to your profile. There are many regional groups building with the purpose of film lovers and more specifically LF nuts gathering. At the end of July we will have our fifth gathering in a year of 13-23 of mostly LF shooters in NE Ohio.

http://www.viewcamera.com/archives.html is the archive of old issues and article subjects. You can drive your self crazy finding subjects you want to pursue and then hunting the old issues on eBay. Buying a group of issues is usually cheaper. If you do that a few times, you will probably end up with duplicate issues and become and seller or lender yourself.

View Camera Magazine is a two person show, Steve Simmons, editor-owner and assistant Andrea Miles. Steve to be brief is a friction point, to the extent that he is no longer welcome on APUG or the LF Forum. Andrea will do anything she can to help you with any magazine related problem. If you can separate the person from the magazine and ignore the editorial mess, you will enjoy the magazine more. That has become too much for many of us to do. I have not seen it in Borders or Barnes and Noble since September when I let my subscription expire. Finding it in a book store may be difficult.

As mentioned above there are many Sinar books, many editions of those and many written by Carl Koch for Sinar. Two I found are:
    Photo Know-How, The Art of Large Format Photography; Koch & Marchesi, Sinar, 1993
    The Sinar System Handbook, , Koch, Carl, 1974
    I have a Sinar P 810.

The view camera is an older technology. If you are willing to learn and enjoy from older magazines, International Photo Techink, published by Grossbild-Technik in Munich was wonderful. These can still be found on eBay. I have about twenty years of back issues from the 1960-70s. It was primarily Linhof supported but each issue also had a Sinar advertisement. The work and styles are of course dated, but excellent. If English is your primary language, be sure to buy the English versions.

John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I did not renew my subscription.

1) Poorly edited.
    2) Reproduction quality of photographs is terrible.
    3) I can find very nearly all the information contained therein from largeformatphototography.info and this forum.

"Lenswork" does a better job of inspiring me to take photos with my Shen-Hao.
    Digital Photography is just "why-tech" not "high tech"..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    You might want to add your location to your profile. There are many regional groups building with the purpose of film lovers and more specifically LF nuts gathering. At the end of July we will have our fifth gathering in a year of 13-23 of mostly LF shooters in NE Ohio.

http://www.viewcamera.com/archives.html is the archive of old issues and article subjects. You can drive your self crazy finding subjects you want to pursue and then hunting the old issues on eBay. Buying a group of issues is usually cheaper. If you do that a few times, you will probably end up with duplicate issues and become and seller or lender yourself.

View Camera Magazine is a two person show, Steve Simmons, editor-owner and assistant Andrea Miles. Steve to be brief is a friction point, to the extent that he is no longer welcome on APUG or the LF Forum. Andrea will do anything she can to help you with any magazine related problem. If you can separate the person from the magazine and ignore the editorial mess, you will enjoy the magazine more. That has become too much for many of us to do. I have not seen it in Borders or Barnes and Noble since September when I let my subscription expire. Finding it in a book store may be difficult.

As mentioned above there are many Sinar books, many editions of those and many written by Carl Koch for Sinar. Two I found are:
    Photo Know-How, The Art of Large Format Photography; Koch & Marchesi, Sinar, 1993
    The Sinar System Handbook, , Koch, Carl, 1974
    I have a Sinar P 810.

The view camera is an older technology. If you are willing to learn and enjoy from older magazines, International Photo Techink, published by Grossbild-Technik in Munich was wonderful. These can still be found on eBay. I have about twenty years of back issues from the 1960-70s. It was primarily Linhof supported but each issue also had a Sinar advertisement. The work and styles are of course dated, but excellent. If English is your primary language, be sure to buy the English versions.

John Powers
    Steve's behavior would be #4 on my list.
    Digital Photography is just "why-tech" not "high tech"..

Shooter
    35mm
    I think we should try to keep the discussion focused on the magazine.

Shooter
    Large Format
    View Camera is up and down like all magazines. I buy it every issue and enjoy most. The best place for LFers is right here. This newsgroup is the only reason I own a computer.
    "The beauty and profundity of God is more real than any mere calculation"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Most of the other posts are right on.
    The older issues had an incredible number of misspellings. Currently, someone actually uses a spell check feature except for captions on photos.
    Steve tends to use "I" quite a bit when writing articles himself, other contributors not so much. He's also going down the digi path. I usually buy mine at the news stand, but haven't missed an issue for a couple of years. I should probably re-subscribe but there have been some issues with sporadic/timely delivery.
    There isn't much out there any more. Photo Techniques is pretty much trash when it relates to analog articles, Allowed scrip to lapse & I haven't bought a copy for at least three years, maybe longer.
    I let my scrip to Lenswork expire when they started allowing digi images into the magazine. It's still a decent magazine if you're not looking for technical information.
    B&W(US) Same as Lenswork in my book. Initially analog & then began to allow digi. Allowed scrip to lapse.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I find at least one useful article in every issue.
    If only we could pull out our brains and use only our eyes. P. Picasso

http://www.timbowlesphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd check the news stands and look the mag over first. I subscribed but no more. When I subscribed, the hard copy left me wanting more, so I subscribed to the web version as well. I had very poor customer support with trying to log on and right when my subscription was due for renewal had a very terse exchange of emails with them. All there answeres to my queries were of the two or three word variety with little or no understanding of what I was asking. It was a simple question of how to log on. Sometimes being the only game in town can lead to an attitude of contempt for the customers. Needless to say I didn't renew and get far more info and help from the forums here on APUG. I also have a Sinar, so congrats on your purchase.

GJA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It seems as though I should skip VC. Maybe will get Lens Work as originally planned and the buy some more book. Leslie Stroebel seems to be a very popular author (judging by the price of the books) Would the 6th edition of View Camera Technique be good enough or do i "need" the 7th ed?

Also, i realized that I have read Minor White's tiny little book on the zone system, but without a spot meter it made little sense to me and i returned it to my library.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin