Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,596   Online: 997

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Large Format
    Indeed, thank you Brooks for the detailed response. I can safely say that Brooks is the one person who knows more about the densities of my gelatin prints than anyone! His immense knowledge of offset printing is also visible, not only in my portfolio, but through the hundreds that have appeared in LensWork over the years. I am sure that the praise from Jimmy Williams has been echoed many times; certainly by me. In the short time I spent working with Brooks and Maureen, what became evident was their passion, and attention to detail that accompanies each portfolio.

Somewhat related, since Brooks gave mention, is the book that LensWork published showcasing the work of Huntington Witherill, Orchestrating Icons. Only recently have I obtained a copy, and the reproductions are stunning. Hunter prints much of his work in high key, or perhaps more correctly, he is drawn to subjects that lend themselves to such treatment. In any event, what is immediately apparent are the subtleties of his prints, so accurately rendered in ink. The obvious result of skilled presswork and supervision; with few exceptions, detail is displayed in the blacks, faithful to Hunter's prints and vision.

So, what does the future hold for well printed books of photography? I have a small library of them, some good and some exceptional. Will there continue to be those skilled enough in presswork to keep the tradition alive? Will LensWork, that wonderful tactile magazine emitting the smells of ink and paper, exist only as a CD? Time will tell.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    Congratulations and thanks for the heads-up. I guess I need to resurrect my LensWork subscription.
    congratulaions and+1!
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    Will LensWork, that wonderful tactile magazine emitting the smells of ink and paper, exist only as a CD?
    Not if I have anything to do with it.
    Brooks

Shooter
    35mm
    Merg, can you post a link to the article?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fotogal View Post
    Merg, can you post a link to the article?
    LensWork is available from the publisher:

http://www.lenswork.com/

wfe
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lenswork View Post
    Not if I have anything to do with it.
    Brooks
    Thank you Brooks !!!
    I get both but do love the magazine
    ~Bill
    "Real Art is a Thin Breath Exhaled Amidst a Struggle in the Mind"
    Fine Art and Portraits

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    Congratulations and thanks for the heads-up. I guess I need to resurrect my LensWork subscription.
    Perhaps, as the magazine is no longer available except by subscription.

LensWork #93 is Sold Out.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin