Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,295   Online: 892

Thread: US B&W Magazine

Shooter
    Medium Format

US B&W Magazine

Is the US B&W magazine still going? They haven't updated their website this year.

Simon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm still receiving issues. I see from one of the latest that the Color magazine that they started will be dropped. They will be expanding the B&W magazine and adding a color section. They will still be putting out two special color issues with the winners from the color single image and portfolio contests. They say those issues are popular and they probably make some money with the entry fees. For a year they will be putting out 4 combined issues (B&W and some color), two B&W special issues (contest winners) and two color special issues. Even with the entry fees the special issues are a nice idea for people to try and get pictures out there. And like any juried show it's interesting to see what gets picked if only to argue about it.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Adding color? Ah well.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    Adding color? Ah well.
    Agreed!

Jeff

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I thought I read that they either had a new website or were developing one.

And it sounded like the color section would be just that -- just a handful of pages' supplement to the regular B&W magazine. I'm okay with this, except that I found most of their color photography to be garish and over the top. Lots and lots of PhotoShop and heavy-handed digital manipulation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Right. From what I read the color and B&W will be in separate sections although the front portion of index and articles may have some color.

Quote Originally Posted by bvy View Post
    And it sounded like the color section would be just that -- just a handful of pages' supplement to the regular B&W magazine. I'm okay with this, except that I found most of their color photography to be garish and over the top. Lots and lots of PhotoShop and heavy-handed digital manipulation.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ah well.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I have just received my most recent copy of "B&W (& Color)" magazine (issue #83) and not since the film "The Thing with Two Heads" have I seen such an abomination. I thought the front cover was their worst yet, until I came to what was apparently the cover of the color section. Sexist and disgusting is how I would describe it, and would be better off as a cover for a girlie magazine, and I'm no prude. The beauty and sensitivity of the B&W section was overwhelmed by the garish and crass images which I found in the color section. With the exception of the delicate work of Eduardo Fujii's floral images, the rest of it was oversaturated digital garbage. Too bad, but I think this is the beginning of the end for B&W magazine.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Film magazine

Is there any magazines out there for film? I did at least enjoy B&W even though it had all the digital stuff in it, but since they added the color section, im not going to waste my time with it any more. Online or not, i would love to find a B&W film magazine.
    Rick Lanning
    Retired Crime Scene Photog.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin