Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,520   Online: 856

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

New exhibit at the smithsonian!!!!

http://www.si.edu/Exhibitions/Detail...%a4sebier-4679

This sounds awesome! And it just opened. I will try to get down there next weekend.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks, Scott, for the info. I'll be in the area near end of show, and will try to catch it.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hmmm, looks awesome...but I have to say...what a silly last name!
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Nice find, Scott--that one came out of nowhere. It looks great. I've seen some of Käsebier's prints in other shows and they were really nice, but I haven't seen any of the Sioux Indian images. Plus some cameras and studio equipment--that's always cool. I might try going this Saturday morning if you're interested in meeting up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would love to see her work in person, and not just from books. Unfortunately, Washington, D.C. is just too far away for me.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Barry- I can't make any promises for my schedule this weekend yet- I have to evict my ex from the house tonight and I don't know if it will get done by tomorrow morning or not. If you want, call my cell before you head out the door and if I can make it, I will...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Might want to swing by and take this one in while you're at it
    Jim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Scott-- Oy, that sounds like great fun. If I end up going I'll give you a call.

Jim--thanks, didn't know about that one either, so I'll definitely make it a two-fer.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I visited both the Käsebier and Baltz exhibits today. The Käsebier show was a bit of a letdown. The Sioux Indian portraits are not really her strongest work--artistically or technically. Part of the problem was the Ripley Gallery--it's a poorly lit cavernous space and didn't serve the intimately-sized images (WP and smaller) very well. The portraits were mostly shot in Käsebier's NY studio on a single day, and while she managed to get some nice shots--the quality was uneven and it was clear the session was rushed. The promised historical camera and studio equipment was nowhere to be found. The exhibit is worth going to, but not going out of your way to see. I felt like the curation and presentation weren't as strong as they could have been.

On the other hand, I really enjoyed the Lewis Baltz exhibit at the NGA. The photographs are very formal and precise expressions of the New Topographic movement, but also influenced by abstraction and minimalism. The exhibit is mostly silver gelatin prints--looking like 8x10 contact prints or possibly medium format enlargements--in any case the print quality is very rich. The curation was nicely done, although I disliked the inclusion of a room-sized mural from Baltz's later work.
    Last edited by Barry S; 04-16-2011 at 06:34 PM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin