Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,001   Posts: 1,524,380   Online: 905

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images

Looking for Current or Upcoming Shows in the Mid-Atlantic Area

It's time for me to see some prints from some great photographers/printers. Anyone know of any current or upcoming showings of silver gelatin prints in the DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia area? Or how I could find more information about shows in these areas?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The Lewis Baltz show at the NGA has some very nice prints. I could have sworn they were printed from medium (or even large) format negatives, but I was just reading about Baltz's use of 35mm cameras and Tech Pan. If so, the prints are even more impressive for their technical quality. It helps if you like the New Topographics work, but regardless--Baltz's prints work on many different levels.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is almost always some photography on exhibit at the Philadelphia Art Museum. Right now they show Unsettled: Photography and Politics in Contemporary Art. There's two shows at the James Michener Museum in Doylestown, but unfortunately they end this Sunday. There might be something at some commercial establishments in Philly, but I'm not too much in touch with those.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Print Center and Gallery 339 in Philly. I think The Print Center still has William Earle Williams' show "Party Pictures." Great stuff.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks guys! Believe it or not I've never seen fiber prints in a showing ever. I think it's time.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Dude, you're overdue! If you hit the NGA, you can also stop at the Ripley Center Gallery for the Gertrude Käsebier show. Not the greatest show around , but you'll get to see a lot of platinum prints.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Any chance I can get this thread started back up again? I'm dying to see some silver gelatin work!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, there is almost always something photographic on exhibit at the Philadelphia Museum of Art. Often, as in this case, they are in a gallery in the Perelman Building, an adjunct facility across the street from the museum. (It's an early 20th C Art Deco former insurance company building, interesting in itself.) The museum website shows:

35mm: Photographs from the Collection
    February 11, 2012 - May 27, 2012

From the first roll-film Leica in the 1920s to the familiar disposable cardboard Kodak, the handheld 35mm camera became a ubiquitous and indispensable photographic tool in the twentieth century.
    [ . . . much snippage . . . ]
    Included are photographs by European and American photographers working in the 1930s and 1940s—the decades in which the 35mm camera rose to prominence—as well as black-and-white and color work by more than thirty photographers from the 1950s through the present. Highlights include work by early 35mm practitioners Henri Cartier-Bresson and Walker Evans, images by photojournalists Robert Capa and Mary Ellen Mark and street photographers Robert Frank and Lee Friedlander, journalistic series by Eric Avery and Edward Quinn, and work by Danny Lyon.

Full description.

There is also photography by Zoe Strauss thorugh April 22, but the phrase "Inkjet print" suggests it may not meet your requirement.

The Allentown Art Museum (about an hour or so north of Philly) shows
    Who Shot Rock & Roll: A Photographic History, 1955 to the Present - on display through May 13. (I assume in 1955 it wasn't digital!)
    And Lydia Panas Photos - up through April 22. No comment as to the ultimate medium, although another site suggests she uses large format color.

The Berman Museum of Art at Ursinus College (NW of Philly) has acquired a small collection of classic works. See "Picture Making" on this page. I have not checked those out and I'm not sure whether they are just walk in or need a pre-arranged contact. (I live near there, I suppose I should find out!)

There may very well be others. I live far enough outside the city that I don't get down there as often as I should.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin