Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,988   Posts: 1,524,058   Online: 1003

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: View Camera

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    my Jan/Feb issue has not arrived. I usually get mine a month late. I have yet to see his publications make it to me on a subscription basis before they make it inot the stores. I wasit a good 2 to 3 eweeks longer.
    That is the way it is here, so I only subscribe to those magazines that I can't get here, like "Arizona Highways". I checked the bookstore last night, neither View Camera or B&W Magazine (US) has arrived. I guess I will have to wait for the boat to get here a little longer. Still waiting to see the B&W issue about APUG. I was able to get LensWork last week though.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Large Format
    I haven't seen the new issue of View Camera in the bookstores here yet either....???

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Bizarre postage issues, I managed to get the Jan/Feb in Robert White (UK) yesterday.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Any one proofreading VC???

Just got my first issue as a subscriber; the March/April one. It commemorates being the 100th issue as well. The articles are interesting, the photographs excellent and typically well reproduced. But boy was I shocked at the number of typos and just plain unintelligible writing. The most egregious article was by John Thomas titled: Zen and the Botanical: The Art of James Lattanzio. Typos abound (including names like Avendon for Avedon), sentences are skewed and, in one case unintelligible, and there is one instance of a random phrase just sitting there without a verb.

I like the magazine. I will continue to read it and subscribe. I am just astonished that a publication read by 16,000 people is so sloppily presented. Steve, if you read this, please get someone to check the articles for errors that no student in a competent high school would be allowed to get away with. It's just plain embarassing!
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's strange. I thought VC had recently added an extra layer of "poof reading" to the work flow.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Large Format
    LOL....lets just hope Aggie is not the one proof reading Emulsion...

(Sorry Aggie, could not resist.. )

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo
    Just got my first issue as a subscriber; the March/April one. It commemorates being the 100th issue as well. The articles are interesting, the photographs excellent and typically well reproduced. But boy was I shocked at the number of typos and just plain unintelligible writing. The most egregious article was by John Thomas titled: Zen and the Botanical: The Art of James Lattanzio. Typos abound (including names like Avendon for Avedon), sentences are skewed and, in one case unintelligible, and there is one instance of a random phrase just sitting there without a verb.

I like the magazine. I will continue to read it and subscribe. I am just astonished that a publication read by 16,000 people is so sloppily presented. Steve, if you read this, please get someone to check the articles for errors that no student in a competent high school would be allowed to get away with. It's just plain embarassing!
    I haven't seen the new issue yet. I notice these things too, but others usually beat me to the punch and say something first.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    LOL....lets just hope Aggie is not the one proof reading Emulsion...

(Sorry Aggie, could not resist.. )
    Never in you're wildest dreams would i ever attempt it, at least for grammer and spelling.
    Non Digital Diva

Images
    Yes it is embarassing. Steve should be ashamed of himself for printing the magazine. It has the potential to be so much more but instead it is a waste of glossy paper Those who buy it should be ashamed that they are supporting such a slip-shod POS magazine like VC. View Camera Magazine is like a package of rice cakes. Both take up space, and are filled with something that has very little substance.

Of course, why should Simmons care? He has no competition and people continue to buy his trash because they imagine they can't get the same thing elsewhere. These are also the same people who complain about the editing and proof reading problems. Vote with your wallet and cancel your subscription. Use your money to pay for a subscription to Emulsion or buy some film to use with your view camera.

P.S I have no affiliation with Emulsion and am a bit tired of hearing the gripes about VC magazine from folks who continue to buy it, and I am having a bad day and will most likely apologize for the tone of this post later.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    Yes it is embarassing. Steve should be ashamed of himself for printing the magazine. It has the potential to be so much more but instead it is a waste of glossy paper Those who buy it should be ashamed that they are supporting such a slip-shod POS magazine like VC. View Camera Magazine is like a package of rice cakes. Both take up space, and are filled with something that has very little substance.

Of course, why should Simmons care? He has no competition and people continue to buy his trash because they imagine they can't get the same thing elsewhere. These are also the same people who complain about the editing and proof reading problems. Vote with your wallet and cancel your subscription. Use your money to pay for a subscription to Emulsion or buy some film to use with your view camera.

P.S I have no affiliation with Emulsion and am a bit tired of hearing the gripes about VC magazine from folks who continue to buy it, and I am having a bad day and will most likely apologize for the tone of this post later.

Yep, you are definitly having a bad hair day..

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin