Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,252   Online: 727

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Sounds like JPG magazine for film...
    Well, they are both photography magazines... and yes, the most distinguishable difference is that Films and Grains is solely for analog photographers, where as JPG Mag welcomes all kinds of medium.

We would like to incorporate different things as we go in the magazine and also surrounding the magazine... lets just say that at this point we are still learning and experimenting... but we'll see... =)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ordered Issue #1 - looking forward in reading it.
    “I drank what?” - Socrates

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Good luck and best wishes to you

Good luck and best wishes to you.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by maliha View Post
    Well, they are both photography magazines... and yes, the most distinguishable difference is that Films and Grains is solely for analog photographers, where as JPG Mag welcomes all kinds of medium.

We would like to incorporate different things as we go in the magazine and also surrounding the magazine... lets just say that at this point we are still learning and experimenting... but we'll see... =)
    JPG died in 2009. Who's advertising with you?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Good luck, I've just ordered a copy.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I have just visited the submissions section of your web site, and nowhere does it mention what compensation will be forthcoming for accepted submissions. Am I to assume that all submissions published are to be considered as unpaid contributions to your magazine?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    From a viewpoint of someone trying to get a publication off the ground, I would say that at this point contributions are just that. Very little if any overhead. Just trying to get some wind in the sails. For those looking for compensation, this is probably not your outlet. For those who simply look to further analog photography by providing a good resource, then jump on in.

From the former editor of CiM, I wish your venture all of the fortune the film photography world has to offer. One piece of advice, unless you have already done so. Choose a path and stick to it so folks know what to expect and accept ONLY the best. Don't publish fluff just to get it out. Better to be light in quantity than in quality.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with Christopher.

A successful magazine needs a clear path. "let's see what happens' is not a clear path.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for your kind words, Christopher. I will keep your advice in mind. It is only a 60 page magazine, and we do have certain guidelines we tend to follow, and do not wish to make drastic changes in terms of what to expect in each issue. For example, we have two separate photo galleries. One is a non-instant photo gallery, and the other is an instant analog photo gallery. These two sections take up the bulk of the pages. The rest is covered by an interview (Featured Photographer- a recurring section) and two/three articles. And I understand "Quality over Quantity", and we are trying our best.

Also, there is no compensation for the contributors. What you get if your work gets published is ... well, your work gets published in print. When I started Films and Grains, my idea was to put out a quality magazine mostly to spread the love, not to make profit out of it. And since we don't exactly make much profit, we can't really pay the contributors either. Even if your work gets chosen, you as a contributor is required to buy yourself a copy if you wish to have one, as all our printing is done by a third party (MagCloud). Even I, as the publisher, am required to purchase a copy for myself if I wish to have one.

Like I mentioned before. the idea is to spread the love for analog, not earn my bread out of it. Not me, as the publisher, and not those who get to have their work published as contributors. And I sincerely hope everyone out there can appreciate this fact! I will consider myself a successful publisher by the standard of the work published in the magazine, not by how much buck I'm making after selling an issue.

Thank you everyone who has purchased a copy! Really appreciate it! We will have our second issue out in June, 2011. This should be better in terms of layout and such, so please, look forward to it! Once again, thank you, so, so much, for the support!
    Last edited by maliha; 05-16-2011 at 01:28 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are we going to see it in the UK?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin