Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,809   Posts: 1,581,536   Online: 931

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    For those who are inquiring:

You do not need a subscription. You buy if you wish to have a copy. As for an online preview, we do not think that should be a big deal, as for many other magazines that require subscription, people do not get to see beforehand what they are paying for. We are simply hoping you would trust us, and have thus far sold based on that! =) We intend to publish four issues every year. If you visit the purchase link (which is provided in the website filmsandgrains.com) you will be able to see the cost of the magazine and the shipping varies depending on the country.

The contents: Two photo galleries. One Featured Photographer section which consists of an interview and a showcase of the photographer for that issue. Articles.

For the first issue we only had one article as we are still so new and trying our best to get the word out so that people know who we are and what we are trying to do. For our second issue (due June 10, 2011) we have two articles! (We actually received more but space was not sufficient, we are trying to limit the magazine to 60 pages).

Two galleries. Well, we have a separate instant gallery so we get more people to shoot instant photo. We are looking at it as an incentive for people to get more into instant photography. A separate section, we hope, will help people see how wonderful instant photography can be!

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "As for an online preview, we do not think that should be a big deal, as for many other magazines that require subscription, people do not get to see beforehand what they are paying for. We are simply hoping you would trust us, and have thus far sold based on that! =)"

Please. This just isn't so. Unlike yours, many of those "other magazines" have been around for awhile and--surprise--do run previews of upcoming content. Funny but the New Yorker sends me a online preview of its upcoming issue--that's like once a week! Besides, because I subscribe, I get access to not only the current print version but also online-only content. You're selling what? "Surprise" content? Why the reluctance to publicize what the magazine actually contains? Until you do, it all looks spammy.
    Last edited by CGW; 05-16-2011 at 05:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    CGW: I'm sorry if I have upset you somehow.
    I believe everyone associated with this magazine is within his/her rights to choose whether they wish to share contents or not. Things may go through changes in the future, just not yet.
    I hope you can respect that.
    And also, since the magazine is printed on demand, you are free to choose whether you wish to spend money on it or not.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looking forward to reading issue #1. As a consumer, I like having choices. If I like what I see and read I'll get more.
    “I drank what?” - Socrates

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Thanks ghostcount. Appreciate it. We are still very new, so trying hard to get the word out! Not just to sell, but also to increase submissions! Our first issue had but just one article, and one interview apart from the photo galleries. But for the next one we have a couple of pretty good stories lines up!

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by maliha View Post
    CGW: I'm sorry if I have upset you somehow.
    I believe everyone associated with this magazine is within his/her rights to choose whether they wish to share contents or not. Things may go through changes in the future, just not yet.
    I hope you can respect that.
    And also, since the magazine is printed on demand, you are free to choose whether you wish to spend money on it or not.
    Your pitch is low and outside. Good luck selling a publication full of undisclosed "content" with no obvious editorial direction.

BTW, who holds copyright to submitted images?

And why does this smell like those great old contest scams where you have to buy the book to see your winning photo? Just asking...
    Last edited by CGW; 05-16-2011 at 09:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    I was told that I could find out shipping charge to the U.K. via the site but couldn't see anything. I did find the price which is about £8.50 for 60 pages then shipping unknown on top.

As this mag has to be ordered, it will not appear on any mag stores shelves so cannot be browsed. So in reality I do have to order it unseen.

Just be aware that in the U.K and this may not matter to you as I don't think that overseas sales will matter a lot, your mag competes with one called B&W for less than half the price, albeit B&W isn't fully analogue.

I just think that things haven't been fully thought out when launching. I am not filled with an overwhelming desire to buy this mag as things stand. Not trying to be nasty but you need to know APUGers reactions - good or bad

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I ordered in the UK and paid about £2.something for postage, just go through the process, entering your address etc. and it seems to work.

Yes, we're buying unseen, but that is the case with any magazine subscription, you pay for 12 issues, because you've seen maybe 1. At least here we can buy one, and if we don't like it, don't buy again.

It looks to me like this guy is simply trying to do his bit for film photography and should get our encouragement, and benefit of the doubt.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So if you buy a magazine sight unseen, then you are buying a virtual magazine which you hope will develop into a physical magazine, right?

This is confusing!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin