Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,581   Online: 877

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As I understand it, the guy has used HP MagCloud to create a paper magazine which is printed on-demand, you order, one get's printed and send to you. It's no more virtual than buying anything on the internet, as far as I see it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Still I would like to at least see a latent image before I use real money for a virtual or latent magazine.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Thegman: Thank you for the encouragement. Appreciate it.

Sirius: It is true that you are paying for a virtual magazine which will be printed only if you pay for it. However, HP MagCloud can be trusted, even if you cannot trust us! =) They only accept an issue to be published when true contents have been submitted. Also, I understand that it is always better to be able to browse through a magazine before you buy it. But please understand, we started up a magazine with zero capital, and we are only an issue old. We couldn't have put this magazine out if something like MagCloud wasn't there to help us get published. May be in the future we can expand, but for the time being, this is where things stand, unfortunately. As for online preview, we may do something about that for the future issues, but we have not decided on that yet.

Also, those living in Cleveland, Ohio, or nearby area, can see the magazine first hand in Aperture (an analog photo store). They don't sell it, but they carry the first issue for all to see. Also, I'm not a hundred percent sure about this, but someone told me few days ago that Photoworks in San Francisco also has a copy lying around for others to see. Not sure if this is authentic though. Either way, unless you live in these areas, you do not have the luxury to browse the magazine before purchasing. This is a huge limiting factor for us, but this is the best we can do for now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A Guy Walks Into A Book Store:

Browses through a rack of " Photography " magazines.
    Is disgusted that they are all about Digital Photography.
    And hardly ever promote analog photography ...
    Spends $12.00 for two magazines, and is still disgusted.

But, I'll just sit here and wring my hands, and fret,
    that Maliha, and HP are trying to rip me off. I won't
    have any positive thoughts, and great feelings about
    a new analog photography magazine. I'll live in fear
    of the " Unknown " and spend $11.00 for 3 cups of coffee.

Ron

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    maliha:

You might assuage some of these concerns if you "postviewed" digitally an enticing excerpt or two from your earlier issue, and made the index of your current issue available in full for all to see.

As more issues are published, you could enrich the excerpts available for browsing.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    maliha,

Part of what you are missing is that a number of us here have gotten burned the last few years by established magazines, watch good magazines like CiM die, ... We have learned to be cautious. Nothing personal.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I wonder if the publication model here, of farming out on-demand-printing and distribution, is a good one? Strikes me that the complexity of that has probably killed off many a good idea/magazine in the past, and might make this particular enterprise more likely to succeed - ie a whole chunk of the worst, most time-consuming, dull and fraught-with-problems parts of the concern are out-sourced! And when our magazine deliveries go awry, we can complain to an organisation with specific expertise in that sort of thing :-)

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    photographie argentique!
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Sirius:

Believe me I understand the frustration. However, I do believe that everyone behind CiM, JPG, Light Leaks, and all the other similar medium out there, have/had good intentions. But we also do not have any control over the unthinkable/unpredictable. All I can tell you now, is that we are doing our best to bring a quality product to all of you which, we hope, will help the analog photography community, even if the slightest. We do it for the community, and also for ourselves, simply because we love doing it.

Any advice/constructive criticism is highly appreciated, in fact, we welcome it. But, expecting the impossible from us, or doubting our intention is pointless. Any advice you have for us, we will carefully consider it, that I can assure you.

Matt:

Great advice. We will certainly consider it. We will be making some changes to our website this summer, and have had the plan to implement something similar.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Folks, it's not magazine delivery. It's like going to B&N and taking the book from shelf, more or less. Yes, a preview or an abbreviated pdf would be nice. Or a review of the latest issue. But this is not delivery. This is you going to an e-store and buying it. That is how CiM would have continued had it not been so time intensive for me. And, given recent events, I do not regret my decision with CiM. I'm glad I got to spend more time with Faith while I had it. Besides, one never knows what the future might hold.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by munz6869 View Post
    I wonder if the publication model here, of farming out on-demand-printing and distribution, is a good one? Strikes me that the complexity of that has probably killed off many a good idea/magazine in the past, and might make this particular enterprise more likely to succeed - ie a whole chunk of the worst, most time-consuming, dull and fraught-with-problems parts of the concern are out-sourced! And when our magazine deliveries go awry, we can complain to an organisation with specific expertise in that sort of thing :-)

Marc!
    Thinking of any current publication in particular?
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin