Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,807   Posts: 1,581,450   Online: 1089

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Ansel Adams books

Hey gang,
    Well I own " The Negative" and " The Camera" is in the mail and when I finally have enough space for a wet darkroom I will purchase "The Print." What I am wondering is; are the books by John Schaefer worth picking up.
    I am interested in "The Basic Techniques of Photography" book 1 and 2. Do AA's books cover the same stuff?

On amazon you can pick them up used for around $5. I would just like to order them all at the same time to save on shipping.

Thanks,
    ~M

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Schaefer's books do a great job of summarizing what Ansel's series covered while updating it for modern tools and materials. I recommend Schaefer's instead of Ansel's for someone just starting out, but prefer Ansel's once you have a good foundation. I would recommend either, but not necessarily both. Buy something else, like maybe Barnbaum's Art of Photography.
    Leo
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Leo,
    Thanks for the info I will check out that book before I make any further purchases. What does Barnbaum's book cover? I comprehend the zone system and am picking up multiple backs for my Mamiya so I can shoot N-1, N, and N+1 to further my understanding and also get the most out of my film.

~M

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Schaffers books are OK, but there are mistakes in them which could cause a beginner problems.
    Barnbaum's book is his methods which will certainly confuse a beginner.
    Best to get one author and stick with him - Namely Adams. The later series is simple to understand and although the film data may be out of date, the fundamentals are there and can easily be understood.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Everyone has their favorite books and practitioner/teachers on this board. For me Barnbaum's book opened the floodgates in terms of understanding how to utilize black and white negative film's wide dynamic range to the greatest effect through zone placement and compensating development (N-1, N, N+1). It made a real difference for me. I have the original version, which relayed a ton of information with virtually no pictures; the new version is updaed and probably even easier to follow.

I would note again that others on this board, most of whom are more experienced than I am, will surely recommend other books. One of APUG's MVP contributors is Ralph Lambrecht. Although I don't have his book, "Way Beyond Monochrome", most here will certainly agree that it's one of the most comprehensive and helpful books on the market. Ralph is also an incredible source of help here, so if you have questions on something, he's likely to answer them. Best of luck to you whatever you read and, more importantly, with whatever you photograph.

Leo
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Leo

Thanks for the nice words. If ~M is a bit more specific about his interests, I'm sure there will be a flood of book suggestions. I currently have about 250 photographic books in my library and more than happy to suggest a few that fit the bill. However, I don't have many that could be had for $5.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ralph,

I just went to your website and took a look at your book. First off it is beautiful! As for what kind of books I am looking for? Well I wouldn't consider myself a beginner anymore but I am always learning and want to learn more. I love how technical "The Negative" is and actually find it clear and concise. I was just looking more books to expand my meager library of about 10 books. The books I have range from text books to technical books to just some beautiful picture books.

I might be reading between the lines here but I see nothing wrong with my paying $5 for a used book from an online retailer or even locally. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used or http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used)

One of the retailers there is the SD area Goodwill.

In the end maybe just another approach or another's view/take on the zone from selecting a camera to exposing to developing. Updated with newer film's and or different developers.

~M
    Last edited by mr. mohaupt; 05-18-2011 at 01:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." Henri Cartier-Bresson

Guess I have a long ways to go :-)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    ~M, I think you meant to address your post to Ralph. If I published a book encompassing my photographic knowledge it would be about 4 pages long and the photographs would be of far lesser quality!!!

Leo

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I was gonna throw WBM2 as well. I lived on Adams' trilogy but Ralph and Chris' book is an awesome addition.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Leo and sorry about that :-).
    "Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." Henri Cartier-Bresson

Guess I have a long ways to go :-)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin