Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,487   Online: 854

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Robb Kendrick--Modern Tintypes in National Geographic

Wasn't sure where to put this, so if this isn't right maybe Sean could move it?

The October issue of National Geographic dropped through my door yesterday. I was reading through this morning and flicked to one of the regular sections 'ZipUSA' a monthly focus on a Zip Code, this month Elko, Nevada.
    But this month I didn't see the text. All the photographs for the article are tintypes made by photographer Robb Kendrick and processed on the spot in a makeshift darkroom. He used an 8x10 view camera and 5x7 metal plates.

Anyhow, I just thought some of the folks here might be interested. There are more of his tintypes on the Nat Geo website along with some technical information.

You can see it at http://www.nationalgeographic.com/ look for the heading 'Magazines' and then below it 'The Art Of Tintypes'. I tried to link direct to the article but for some reason it wouldn't work. You can see a summary of the article and more tintypes through the 'More Online' link and then by clicking the 'ZipUSA' box. too.

Interesting and encouraging to see, in this ever more technology focussed media world, a magazine photographer dedicated to using 'the old ways'.
    Last edited by Andy K; 09-28-2004 at 04:24 AM. Click to view previous post history.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Andy thanks for the link, that is some cool stuff he's doing. Alot like what Clay and Kerik, here, have been working on. Is anyone else doing this?
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    35mm
    Way cool! Thanks for sharing.

Shooter
    35mm
    I actually sent an email to National Geographic asking about the digital prizes offered in a contest and what that meant for the future of analog photography in respect to the magazine. The reply I received said that the majority of the magazine is still film photography and that film will continue to be used.

Just thought I'd share that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Nat Geo site seems to have been updated now, however if you use the link above and then type 'tintypes' into the search bar on their site, you'll still find some interesting stuff... including a range of vintage tintypes for sale.

Also this link should take you to the original article with Robb Kendrick's tintypes. If it doesn't type 'Elko' into the NG searchbar.

http://magma.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0410/feature6/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

NatGeoD Dec07: Feature story shot w/TINTYPE

No Photoshop, just real toxic chemicals.

The feature "The Enduring Cowboy" is based on Robb Kendrick's (gorgeous -- need I even have to say it?) tintypes.

The editorial on page 4 is pretty funny too.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nat Geo used Rob Kendrick's work three years ago: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum56/9...eographic.html. Good to see they've returned to the medium.

http://magma.nationalgeographic.com/...re6/zoom1.html
    Last edited by Andy K; 11-18-2007 at 05:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice, Thanks for the update. Not sure if it is ok to post a link to the work on the NG site (so if the mods pull it, I understand). Looks like it may be some of the new work, Kendrick was doing in South America.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks for the link. Its a good story with good photographs, a good change of pace for NG. I was glad to see how the article attempts to convey what the life is like.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Those are great too Andy, thx!

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin